1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cost of an extractor fan fitting in the bathroom..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Aug 7, 2020.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Has anyone any recent experience of this? I know it may vary but its something a nab needs to consider due to condensation in winter.

2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Hi, I renovated my bathroom a few years back, and installed an extractor.
    It depends I think where it goes? I used a core drill, to drill through the wall. Then it will need to be wired to an isolator switch, along with the light switch and I ran the cables up between the two wall skins, through the loft to the switch.
    If you’re into DIY it’s do-able.

needabreak likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I had a humidistat extractor fan installed in the bathroom back in February 2018. The cost including parts and labour was £345, including VAT.

needabreak likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Seems I got away with £168 back in January then.

agathamorse, colpee and needabreak like this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Whatever you decide, make sure the fan is actually powerful enough to extract. The one I had initially sounded tough and business-like but it wasn't doing much apart from making noise.

alex_teccy and needabreak like this.
  6. 20drew01

20drew01 New commenter

I had one replaced for £50

needabreak likes this.
  7. needabreak

Thanks for that, my DIY skills don't extend to that but the nabs probably do but hadn't thought of doing it themselves.

8. needabreak

Thank you nomad now we've got a range between this and as Lara's cost, a good general guide before quotes or DIY.

9. needabreak

If only there was already one there but thanks for your reply.

10. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

We had it done as part of a series of things so I don't know how much it was just for the fan. However, it was well worth it for the effect it had on the condensation, not just in the bathroom, but throughout the house.

needabreak likes this.
  11. needabreak

Yes they give a guide as to the power on each one but good point as they love a steamy shower.

12. needabreak

Exactly what I said to one of the nabs.

mothorchid likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Put off buying a new sporty little number for a couple of months.

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I just open a window. Clears smells and steam with no problem.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. needabreak

It's not my bathroom but thanks for your view.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We have one over the shower to remove condensation, it goes through the ceiling and then comes out through the soffit board under the eaves. Saves drilling through the exterior wall.

It's also on a timer, so it comes on with the light switch and stays on for a time afterwards. It was part of our bathroom refurbishment so can't say how much.

mothorchid likes this.
  17. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

We had always gone with the "Just open the window" approach in our last house, but in our current house (No cavity walls) there is a real problem with condensation and a fan in the bathroom genuinely helped.
    But we're moving! (I may have mentioned this a number of times already, but it's SUCH a relief!)

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Lucky you.

mothorchid likes this.
  19. needabreak

I have the same fitted via an existing light fitting though we are not sure whether wall or ceiling is most appropriate, will probably have to get a few quotes in.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Always keen to help, me.