1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

COSLA laughing as teachers shoot themselves in the foot

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by readyfortheweekend, Mar 23, 2011.

1. I voted against the last COSLA deal and as I'm an EIS member also voted to support industrial action.
    I voted against the deal for all the reasons my union put forward: two-tier workforce, no guarantees on jobs, chartered teacher decimation, sick pay cuts, etc, etc, etc

Here is the reason I am angry tonight, not now because the exec of the union is telling me to support the 'new' deal but because of the sheer laziness, apathy and naval gazing behaviour of an expected 40-50% of my teaching colleagues who DIDN'T get off their backsides to VOTE.

Even with a resounding reject vote, COSLA are clearly able to see that the most teachers are far too all-right-nik to care about the more vulnerable groups in our profession and therefore no union today was able to say that even 50% of their members would support strike action.

The union has no *** choice but to accept - because membership (of all unions btw) was just too damn lazy to stand up and be counted.

If you want to be angry now ( and I'm bloody furious) be angry at your colleagues who couldn't find the time in their busy schedules to support the profession.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's that really the case,what a shame. It probably would not surprise me if this what exactly what might have happened.

3. I've had it on pretty good authority that thats exactly whats happened. Its all very well and good for the SSTA to try and gain advantage by saying the EIS have caved but the reality is that it seems turnout for all unions has been low (although the majority have voted to reject) and fewer have gone for strike action (IMO not helped by the SSTA splitting that into industrial action short of strike action either!) so COSLA have been able to say, that the majority of teachers will support the package and aren't willing to go for industrial action.

The union has been left with little choice I fear. I can only say how enraged I feel by this - frankly I wonder why those who didn't vote are in a union at all.

4. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Very well said RftW. I agree with every word you have written, not just the above quote.
    I find it nauseating how some posters on other threads are gloating and taking this as another opportunity to encourage people leave the EIS.
    What was the turn out for the SSTA? If it was approx. 50% then only 30% of their total members actually supported strike action. Those fleeing the EIS could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
    We sent our representatives to a fight with one hand tied behind their back.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm one of the poster whose first reaction was to be disgusted by what was happening. However,if it has happened as OP is putting it,it's all making more sense. I was thinking on terms of how many had rejected offer but if it was really a low turn out and no appetite for action,then it all make sense.

6. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

You were understandably disgusted and disappointed Catmother but you weren't guilty of gloating or encouraging others to leave the EIS. I was thinking more of this forum's friendly recruiting sergeant for the SSTA. I hope he reads his thread and comment in the cold light of day and cringes.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Not correct.

The SSTA turn out was 56% I believe. So a majority of members did vote.

Of those who voted, 95.4% rejected the "offer".

61.2% voted to consider industrial action including strike action
    31.1% voted to consider industrial action short of strike action
    6.7% voted not to consider industrial action.

So 61% of 56% were prepared to consider strike action to defend their conditions. Not a majority but a significant % of the membership. Another way of looking at it however is that 92.3% of those who voted were prepared to take action short of strike action. e.g. a work to rule.

Anyway, we'll see what SSTA salaries committee decides on Monday.

8. Same here. Really, we should be angry with our colleagues and their apathy.

9. COSLA has played their hand to perfection, and now it looks like the EIS colluded with them from the start.
    As I said in Post 55 here:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/470575.aspx?PageIndex=6
    It is clear now that that sick pay clause was indeed a red herring, thrown into the works to obscure the real agenda, to stir up sh*t about something that the employer never intended to push for, so that they could pull it off the table as a fake show of compromise and in the end get everything they wanted.
    The only shocker is how speedily and utterly the EIS went along with this. It looks like they weren't so much sucked in by the ploy, as in on it from the start. Disgusting.

10. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Not correct? 61% of 56% = 34%, not a kick in the **** from my 30% estimate.

11. 30% or 34% - either result is a shocker I'd say. All membership of ALL unions have let themselves down here, there's nowt to be gained from petty point scoring when the majority of our workforce have let apathy win the day.
    I don't believe the EIS wish to accept this more than anyone else, but are having their hand forced by this result.
    Collectively we've shown we don't back unions or industrial action, doesn't matter how strongly the ballots rejected the proposals only a small proportion of teachers supported the advice of their union and therefore COSLA have been given the upper hand.

I'm utterly sickened.

12. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Well it is surely up to us all EIS AND SSTA combined to reject the proposals again.

13. It was up to us all to support our colleagues, regardless of how much we were going to be personally affected by the proposals. Quite frankly, I don't know how the 66% who didn't bother to vote will be able to look supply teachers in the eye, knowing that they've sat back and let them be put to Point 1 of the scale. I'm sorely disappointed at the apathy amongst teachers, and am surprised given the level of cuts at the moment, that so many of them are feeling so secure about their jobs that they can't imagine any possibility that they too may end up doing supply on Point 1. I'm not holding my breath that any more people will vote next time round, as my experience has been that they really don't care as long as it's not them in the firing line. I'm disgusted :(

14. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Precisely so. The only way to do this is for EIS and SSTA members to reject the new propsals in their forthcoming ballots and to urge their colleagues ... 1. to vote and 2. vote to reject.

Unions ARE the members but members must get involved in the decision making process.

15. Contact your union and demand a ballot held before the May election. Talk to your colleagues, get them onside and voting.

16. Members of the E.I.S. should reject these new proposals and stand up for supply teachers. The union should show some backbone and urge ALL members to vote and not just roll over and accept the inevitable.

17. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Aha ... 3 posts, joined 27 March.

The EIS old guard stirs itself into action. And with the age old arguments ... "Stay on board. No need to panic".

It would be nice to think that the EIS would change. It would be great if it really led Scottish teachers to the promised land. The EIS has been the dominant force in Scotland's schools for decades and I give it credit for its achievements in the 70s and 80s (supported by the "parasites" of course). However, the last decade has been a disaster for teachers: bullying is rife, excessive working hours are the norm and promoted posts are about to disappear like snow off a dike. In fact that's already happened in secondary schools.

The term "parasite" gives the game away. The EIS has become dominated by people who think that their way is the only way. Everyone else, including EIS members who disagree with them is a "parasite". Like the CP in the USSR, they "never make mistakes". Wild reverses in policy such as the one we have just seen, are justified as "the best deal possible in the circumstances". Whole sections of the membership are thrown to the wolves but never mind, the EIS will survive. Meanwhile, nothing changes.

Where's Eric Blair when you need him?

18. I am shocked at the low turnout. I'm also shocked at the EIS recommending acceptance of the new conditions. I will be voting no. And I am not supply.
    I don't know about anyone else but I got quite a few emails asking if I had voted. No wonder - there must have been panic about the low turnout. If someone can't be bothered logging in and voting, which took about 20 secs, then there is little hope.

19. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

I don't know if you're a 'high heid yin' in the EIS as Dominie suggests, but I suspect the sneering tone and content of your contribution has just convinced a few more EIS members to resign and join the SSTA.

20. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

Well said treble2!

Supply teachers need the support of all EIS and SSTA members. Teachers are constantly been asked to promote anti-bullying messages - so they how can they stand back and let their most vulnerable colleagues be walked over?

It's stunning that the EIS leadership are saying that "you should accept or get a worse deal". It couldn't be any worse!

The EIS leadership obviously have their own agenda. They have no credibility in my eyes and their "advice" should be disregarded.