1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

COSLA document in BBC report

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by CanuckGrrl, May 23, 2011.

1. Too little, too late!!

2. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

I found this part interesting:
    "Emphasising the importance of high performance among head teachers, it said there was a case for them being on renewable rather than permanent contracts.
    It also proposed short, fixed-term contracts, subject to appraisal, for promoted posts below head teacher level."
    Now, if I'm not mistaken, many LAs are already finding it difficult to find sufficient, qualified and interested candidates for such posts. Are they really expecting teachers with permanent contracts to apply for the insecurity of fixed-term promoted posts?
    And how exactly are they proposing to define, and measure, 'high performance among head teachers'?
    Why do I suspect it will be based on the HT's ability to implement any new conditions of service, dump a great deal of additional work on staff and 'sell' every new initiative no matter how daft?
    Somehow I suspect professional integrity, and educational expertise, will count for little.

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Cynical. So cynical.

But probably 100% accurate.

4. looks like Ronnie is back-peddling like mad. I'm in the SSTA - perhaps these latest proposals will unite both SSTA and EIS in a common cause.

5. We were told specifically by the EIS that this would not happen and that the changes from holiday to "school closure" day would be a change in name only.

6. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

The holiday grab was well telegraphed. There was some publicity a few months ago. It was lovely to hear the cynical tactic of appealing to the inconvenienced by child minding lobby this morning on Radio Scotland.
    Another thing I heard was: increasing the number of out of school activities. All in favour of this mum and apple pie stuff ,except for the doing it for free (OK) under compulsion (not OK) bit.

7. We have seen 10 years of success and stability and throughout these years we have seen modern conditions of service that take into account home working, balancing work and family life and personal responsibility for teachers which COSLA and any forward thinking employer should embrace. I was left with the impression COSLA yearned for the good old days of the 1960?s when class sizes and teacher contact were largely unrestricted.

The entire submission reads like a hare brained experiment to turn schools into child care facilities instead of sites of teaching and learning, and, would replace everything that parents and pupils expect from schools with something that is based on the spaghetti strong foundation of relegating teaching to the second division. Once COSLA?s spaghetti strong foundation, that brands teaching as a minor matter, buckles their credibility crashes.

Have you written to your MSP or press to expose them yet?

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Did the EIS really believed this?

9. Have I got this wrong (please let me be wrong for once!!) but from what I hear/see/read this looks like we'll be expected in school for a fair few weeks extra? For no extra money? With extra transport costs for me? And extra child care costs for me? And shorter set holidays? Erm...does anyone else see a problem with this?

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would think all teachers would have a big problem with it. However,I fear that an awful lot of the general public would have no problem whatsoever. Most parents would probably be over the moon.

11. Don't assume this has to be our future. Fight it. Keep exposing COSLA in the press and to your MSP.

12. I don't know. Adamant in the face of my disbelief, though.

13. Yep. Unfortunately not enough people gave a rat's *se about this possibility, or were too busy or too muddled to think through the implications of voting for a reduced holiday time, from 66 days to 40 days. We handed it to the employer on a platter.

14. Clearly, the EIS members who voted for this did believe it.

15. So according to the article,
    1)teachers do NOT need non-contact time and primary teachers should teach 25 hrs per week
    AND
    2) teachers need additional inset days (during the summer) to "make up their own lessons" rather than "following detailed national guidelines."
    Right... making up lessons for a class you have yet to meet, all in advance. Yes. I see who thinks this is a good idea... someone with no clue about what teaching is.

16. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Relax! Drew Morrice of the EIS spoke about this on Reporting Scotland tonight and threatened industrial action. No need to worry!

17. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

yeah -but EIS will negotiate a 25% improvement and that will be okay then-not!

we had the opportunity to draw a line in the sand and we missed it -be scared be very scared

wake up teacher's in scotland!!!!

18. Aye, right, Dom. I nearly sprayed the TV screen with my tea when he said that.
    After paving the way for the demolition of teachers terms and conditions in Scotland, does the EIS really imagine that is has one iota of credibility left?

19. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

me too! and Mr.Jo nearly got wet too!![

:$]