1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

COSLA advert in TES

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by triadplus1, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Anyone else think COSLA are being a bit sneaky with their advertisment / representation as to what the proposals on offer are? Page 9, if I'm remembering rightly.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

A bit sneaky? That's not quite how I'd put it.

3. I was trying to be charitable... perhaps there's no need! *S*

4. COSLA : liars, liars pants on fire!

5. Point 2 in particular about conserved salaries is misleading. As a conserved PT who has not been facultised and still doing the exact same job - I stand to lose £4000 per annum as my post was job sized 2 scale points below. So in 2016 after some 20 years as a PT my salary will be cut. Is that unfair and legally questionable? Would be interesting to find out. COSLA have given no indication of the number of teachers who earn up to £13000 more than their colleagues. It will be surprisingly few. However the ad also does not say that former APTs and former STs are being allowed to keep their conserved salaries as they were deemed to be 'assimilated' in 2001. Is this not unfair and legally questionable too? But I am certainly not proposing that they lose their salaries - far from it. Only some groups of teachers are being asked to 'take the pain'. It is indeed divide and conquer.

6. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

The answer is not to let them divide then. These proposals target vulnerable groups - temp contracts, pregnant teachers, supply, etc. We cannot cherry pick the conditions we are prepared to sacrifice. Once that starts we've had it.

7. Every teacher is being targeted by COSLA.

Every teacher would have their salary cut in real terms.

Every teacher would have their sick pay targeted.

Every teacher would have their leave targeted by COSLA.

Some teachers are being targeted for special traetment. In my opinion, the more vulnerable the worse the treatment planned.

8. vforvendetta

vforvendetta New commenter

"5. A new rate of pay for supply cover for periods of 8 days or less.
    Teachers on short term supply are not expected to take on the same responsibilities and hours as their colleagues. This change recognises that fact and pays an appropriate rate for their duties."
    I can assure you, that we are expected to take on these duties. I've done parents nights, marked homework, been to departmental meetings etc. on short term supply.

9. Look on the bright side, Vfor. If this thing goes through, you won't have to do any of that stuff, because it'll say so right there in the contract and you can wave it in their faces if they forget about it. [​IMG]

10. vforvendetta

vforvendetta New commenter

Chances are I will not be teaching. Better off stacking shelves. What's a contract? They don't give them out these days, so they don't have to break them.