1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coskun Turkey

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by anon4033, May 6, 2012.

1. Anyone who has taught at the Koleji in Istanbul who can tell me a bit more about the school? It teaches the IB program but how does it rate compared to other international schools in Istanbul?
    Thanks

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Given its name it is unlikely to be an International School in the sense that its pupils come from an international background.
    The international bit is likely to be the staff make up. I don't know the school, however I do know of other schools I imagine to be similar in Istanbul.
    I am guessing they will offer a bilingual programme; maths, science and ICT in English, and the others in Turkish.
    I don't want to say too much about what it's like to teach a class of 25 Turkish 17 year olds the IB curriculum, but I do remember an old HoD telling me when I first arrived that I would come across some of the sweetest, most intelligent and generally lovely students in my professional career. He also said that I would come across some of the most arrogant, bigotted and spoilt brats of my career.
    He was correct on both points.

3. Thanks for your response Ian. It's quite a distance from the city I believe so not the posh area. It's a a TESOL position so guess I'll only be teaching EFL.
    Thanks for the heads up. May I contact you again after the interview?
    Regards