1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cortisol Test for Teacher Stress

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MrMedia, Oct 13, 2015.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I was reflecting on that show which demonstrated Sam Alladyce's cortisol levels went through the roof and thought - I bet teachers could be tested to show levels of cortisol. All very well saying workload, pay, conditions, etc., they will Jeremy Hunt-style face you down. But teachers' cortisol levels? That's a positivist, scientific, comparable measurement.

Well, turns out there is something called hair cortisol. So we could get teachers to have their hair tested for cortisol levels over periods of time and match that to the school year. Presumably there are recommended levels for cortisol?

Any science teachers able to advise here? Could be a nice little study paper. The testing seems to be fairly easy to arrange through companies such as Salimetrics.

2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Teachers shown to have high levels of cortisol clearly can't cope and will be on the next bus to the Job Centre.

3. Ambivalence

Ambivalence New commenter

Sadly true I suspect ... even when it is generated by self centred governmental/management policies rather than educational benefit.

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Coming to a performance management appraisal near you.;)

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Oh dear. I am sure people who work for the Harris chain might be up for donating a little piece of stressed hair to see just what is causing that turnover. You don't think perchance they are losing a lot of experienced people on the UPS and replacing them with UQTs by any chance? Pay that trustee a bonus!