1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Corrective Reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarah292, Jun 26, 2015.

1. sarah292

sarah292 New commenter

Has anyone any experience of using The Corrective Reading Programme, in particular the comprehension strands? It looks great but would like opinions before we commit to a purchase. Thanks in advance.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. I've used it twice - both 20 years ago when I first started teaching - and we started using it at my present school in September. We use it mainly with Y7 and 8. It brings the students on as they get used to reading aloud, discussing comprehension etc all in one bundle - have only used the Decoding Strategies part of the scheme though.

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Msz gives an interesting link!

I don't know the age of the kids you are helping but many of my resources are good for 'reading for meaning'. Particularly you may like www.tes.co.uk/.../inference-reading-for-meaning-and-inferring-pt-i-6048490 and there's a part ii as well at www.tes.co.uk/.../inference--reading-for-meaning-and-inferring-pt-2-6073213. Consistent use of the simple bookmarks will help www.tes.co.uk/.../inference-bookmarks-widgit-symbol-support-6058521

All the reading for meaning resources I have on TES are listed here languageisheartosay.com/.../reading-for-meaning

5. sarah292

sarah292 New commenter

Thanks for your replies. I'm looking to support children in KS2 who can decode perfectly well, but who show very little understanding of what they are reading other than the most obvious points. I will look at the above links - thanks again.