1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

correcting staff grammar.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sammy36, Nov 11, 2010.

1. poortom do you want us to notice your delibarate or deliberate mistakes?
    Cos I can definately see a couple more...[​IMG]

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Purely a matter of choice. Realise looks nicer with an s but recognize has more punch with a z. I get riled by teachers who tell children that z is American. Try looking at the Oxford English Dictionary.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

'Where's that to' is a beautiful bit odf dialect. I hope it survives. However, I hopre the children who use it know the less local version so that they can use it in their writing.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry - big laptop problems tonight.

5. Where's that to? is also heard in South Wales.
    I have heard bad grammar from TAs "You done really good" and teachers "You are all stood beautiful"!! Maybe the worst though is the HT's pronunciation (Setember instead of September)
    Spelling mistakes are also rife!
    I'm a bit of a pedant though so tend to keep my mouth shut!! [​IMG]

6. ooohhh and "Them ones"!!!!

7. SDL

SDL

Try and find out where they are from, 'where's that to' is a west country term. Just like 'awright me bird, ows you doing then..?'
    so tharrrrrgh...!

8. Dialect words and phrases - fine, but further up the school I try to get the children to think about if they're intentionally writing in the local dialect, or if there's an alternative way of phrasing things. I think there's a strong difference between bashing a local dialect phrase, and actual massively incorrect grammar. The big local one is the fantastic word "mardy" which I wouldn't want to see being habitually used in older children's writing - but at the same time, it's a strong part of the local dialect around here (and a crackingly good word).
    I see classroom signs quite regularly with spelling errors on them in lots of schools. I'm not above reproach myself - I make mistakes, particularly when trying to type, sneeze and cough simultaneously before any of the 1 post smart-alec wonders chip in here - but I DO proof-read and double-check things that are going in front of the kids before using them, and on the occasions I spot an error on a worksheet or something I've handed out - I'll mention it to the kids and ask them to change it to the correction - because no one's perfect and it's how you deal with it that counts really.
    I'm careful myself with pronounciation and phonics - I've got a different regional accent to the local one - and sometimes I DO still say words differently - and the kids comment on it. I've got to be very concious when I come across phonemes I know are ones this is a problem with (oo being the biggie - they also find the way I say the word poem hilarious) to stick to the way the kids say them. I don't use my native regional phrases in front of the kids because they're not appropriate or relevant unless it's in a discussion relating to dialect words, or they've come across something like the word "bairn" in a text.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This made me laugh, mardy was a new word to me when I moved to this area but it's so expressive. ......and if it was good enough for D.H. Lawrence....