1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

correcting staff grammar.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sammy36, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Inky - I think that you would dare ask it. [​IMG]

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

obvious

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

How embarrased are you when another member of staff writes something that parents are going to see in ungrammatical, misspelt English? Is this a problem with the keyworker system?

4. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

To the OP, I would have questioned the TAs use of this phrase as well.
    It's so important to speak correctly using standard English. I was astounded to hear a student teacher repeatedly using the phrase "What was you doing?" or a qualified teacher "It's more better."
    Wrong, wrong, wrong! I sympathise with the poster who is angered when their children come home from school having developed incorrect language patterns.
    The errors really do need to be pointed though because they have become habits and it's highly unlikely that simply re-phrasing them will get the point across. As embarrassing as the situation is, it won't change unless you deal with it, as sensitively as possible!

5. Our school has a policy where TAs / support staff always use a green pen. This saves cringy moments of correction and worry during SMT book trawls.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The receptionist at my son's primary has a Business degree yet seems almost totally illiterate. She writes the school newsletters, and the head doesn't correct them, and they are full of spelling, punctuation and grammatical mistakes. The school website is the same. I wish I could post a link then one of you could complain. If I did they'd just think it was me being fussy again, like when I complained about the thirty missing apostrophes from a poster in the entrance hall. Silly me for being so picky!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Do yu mean that the ones which are likely to contain misspellings and bad grammar are dont in a different colour to save staff blushes?
    How funny!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

'If it's green, please don't blame me' sort of thing...

9. Yes... that's not why it was introduced I'm sure, but it can be used that way.

10. JEH

JEH New commenter

this problem has been annoying me for years! Past and current TAs will say things like " I done that for you" or " You was trying really hard ". Quote from EYFS Practice Guidance page 46, CLL, Language for Communication, Planning and Resourcing section: <font size="1" face="ZapfDingbats" color="#006390"></font><font size="1" face="ZapfDingbats" color="#006390"><font size="1" face="ZapfDingbats" color="#006390">[/i]Trouble is, they don't realise that they aren't!
    </font>
    </font></font>

11. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Yes Inky and good for you. In my school both teachers are responsible for all the learning journals because of grammatical errors by one particular classroom assistant. I have no issues with dialect being born and bred in the North East myself, but one TA is unable to pronounce the th sound so the children all have birfdays and brush their teeth with toofbrushes. It makes me cringe every time i hear this but the member of staff is totally unaware. Another saying that makes me cringe is youse for eg 'Will youse get your coats etc

12. I personally tend to repeat the phrasing using correct grammar like somebody earlier mentioned. I do it with the children too, so if they say "We was going to the park" I'll say "Oh right, so you were going to the park...then what happened?"

13. Reading that has taken me back a few years.
    It is a west country saying, my late grandmother who passed away aged 102 3 years ago used this all the time. Cornish through and through

14. I think it's spelled 'Embarrassment'.

15. We shouldn't forget that parents send their children to school to be taught subjects properly. Teachers should have a responsibility to do this. Those assisting teachers in the classroom should also bear this responsiblity. If they are unable to then maybe they should find another job.
    This happens in almost every other profession.
    If I make a mistake I'd rather be told about it so I do not make it again. We should all realise that feedback and constructive criticism should be valued and certainly not regarded as "polically incorrect".Of course this has to be done with sensitivity but certainly not avoided.
    Whether we like it or not, other peoples' judgement of us is determined by such factors such as language skills. We should be maximising the opportunities that children in our care have when they leave school, not burdening them with confusing messages.

16. I'm new to this forum, so hello everyone. Interesting thread. I get all het up about the incorrect usage of "sat" for "sitting" (perhaps it's my age!) and as an English teacher I try to explain this to my students when it arises. A while ago I heard another English teacher talking to her group, and she said to one boy, "You're sat there at your computer...." I winced but bit my lip.

17. <table align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td align="left" style="padding-right:9pt;padding-left:9pt;padding-bottom:0cm;padding-top:0cm;background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;">I think, to be honest, you have acted appropriately. I am very good at being dyslexic &ndash; somewhat a skill. Now working with young people in the teaching and learning capacity usually brings out my worst form of dyslexia. I wouldn&rsquo;t say I was a bad teacher; my grammar is reasonably good however, I cannot spell for toffee!!!! Thank god for interactive white boards, spell check and pedantic colleagues. I am truly grateful for spelling corrections as I would hate for my inadequacy as a paid teacher to have impact on my pupils. Your colleague should be greatful that you helped her as it is very embarrassing when the young people stat to question ones abiltiy as a teacher. I would say keep correcting her as she is in a position where she needs to be professional. Don't beat yourself up over this as it is a huge over reaction.
    </td></tr></table>

18. Whenever I teach, I have a culture of acceptance that everyone makes mistakes - including the teacher!
    I make a point of asking any accompanying teaching assistant about a spelling I am not sure of (whether genuinely or contrived) so that we can joke about it together, consult, perhaps look in a dictionary - and so on.
    This culture is, in my opinion, open and honest and good for the children.

It also opens the door quite sensitively to addressing spelling or other errors of other teachers and teaching assistants within the school without having to squirm about the situation.
    It IS our responsibility to be as correct as possible - but we all make genuine mistakes - whether of the 'typo' kind or simply not getting something correct.

My embarrassment is that I am in the business of programme writing and teacher training but I am not a world class speller by any means - and I am often grateful to be put straight or to call upon my tatty dictionary or a nearby 'other' person.[​IMG]

19. Its Bristonian dialect ! Whilst at uni in Bristol I found this term (along with many others) so annoying until my final year when I realised I had started using it to (out of the classroom).

20. "Where's that to" is dialect and doesn't need correcting. I only correct dialect if it's used in written form.