1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Corporal Punishment

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Jd250, May 23, 2011.

1. Dear All, I hope you are all well and enjoying what you do within the teaching profession? I am currently a student on the Masters in International Education at the University of Leicester where I will be undertaking a small-scale study towards my dissertation. I was actually hoping to recruit some participants who would help me in gaining a better understanding of arguments for and against corporal punishment. My sample will be purposive as I require participants who were in the profession prior to the abolition of corporal punishment in 1987. Personal details will remain confidential and quotes used in the dissertation will also be annonymised. Please feel free to message me if you feel you can contribute towards my study as I would be very interested in hearing from you. Additionally, I would also be very grateful if you could kindly advise anyone who may be interested in assisting me with my research to contact me. The selected participants will be required to undertake a short interview lasting between thirty minutes to an hour at a time which is convenient for themselves. Please also note that you can withdraw from the research study at any time. Kind Regards, Jaspreet

2. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

As far as the UK is concerned, my recommendation would be to start with "A Last Resort?", edited by Peter Newall as a Penguin Education Special, 1972.

I was a member of S.T.O.P.P. throughout the early 70s, who were instrumental in getting the bill into Parliament. My most active role was to threaten to beat up a deputy head who had cut a boy's hand with his cane! I also encouraged the pupils not to be so stupid as to stand still whilst someone hit them, and carried out an inspection of the headmaster's canes, telling him they were illegal, even in those days.

There are numerous threads here in the TES fora (not recently, interestingly), and of course there is the Internet. Here in Barbados they still use CP in schools, and it is difficult to teach if you let the students know you do not agree with it. Caribbean society still hangs onto its belief that misbehaving children and adults should be beaten as this is the only thing they understand, from the days of slavery I guess.

3. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd New commenter

It was pretty brutal at times and I was delighted when it was abolished. I had to be the objective observer when the HoD caned someone and always loathed the experience. He, incidentally, carried with him some sort of letter which gave him permission to cane young boys. He seemed very pleased with this piece of paper as it invested him with a power few of us had. He presumed we wanted this power. If he'd behaved as he did in the street, he would have been arrested, tried and imprisoned. The fact that it was in a school evidently made it acceptable.

I speak as someone who was once caned by the biggest scrum half ever to play for England.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Nowadays, of course, corporal punishment is completely unnecessary in the UK because all students behave so well.

sabram86 likes this.
  5. paulstjohn2014

paulstjohn2014 New commenter

the hippo
    Most students in the UK are fine decent people. Expressive and free unlike vast numbers
    repressed in your dear old China.

6. the hippo

Four out of 10 teachers have experienced violence from pupils in the past year, a survey for the ATL teachers union suggests.
    Of those who had experienced violence, 77% said they had been pushed, and around half were kicked or had an object thrown at them.
    Nine out of 10 staff had dealt with challenging behaviour, such as swearing or shouting, in the past year.
    Staff have greater powers to deal with poor behaviour, the government said.
    However, 45% of the 1,250-strong panel of teachers surveyed across England, Wales and Northern Ireland said they felt pupil behaviour had got worse in the past two years.

7. paulstjohn2014

I'm sorry I just don't agree with those figures without knowing the context.

8. paulstjohn2014

I have worked in several schools considered challenging. In my experience building genuine relationships with even the most disengaged students is far more effective than repressive and petty rules. However this has to go alongside a fair and inclusive behaviour policy.

My other point is that you are commenting from thousands of miles away. Quite a number of teachers flee abroad to private schools because they are not particularly effective practitioners and tend to blame the students rather look to their own shortcomings.

I must stress that this not the case for the majority before I am condemned!

9. ljr

ljr New commenter

I am not proud of the fact, but in the very early years of my primary teaching career, back in the 70s I once smacked a boy round the back of his legs - he was being a danger to other pupils and to me. The following morning his mother came in to see me ........ to thank me! She said it was just what he needed and she was pleased that I'd done it. His behaviour changed from that day on. Many years later, at another school, he enrolled his child and came to see me to make sure I would be teaching his child. As I say, I'm not proud, and it only happened the once, but it did have a good outcome.

10. the hippo

Becoming a teacher is like buying a high-risk lottery ticket and solution is for men "only to teach boys", says Kato Harris

Men should not become teachers, a geography teacher cleared of accusations of rape from a 14-year-old girl, has said.

Kato Harris said this week that he did not see why “any man in their right mind” would become a teacher. He said that every male teacher is seen as a “potential pervert” and potential child-abuser.

Mr Harris, 38, was accused of anally raping a 14-year-old pupil at the independent girls’ school at which he had been working.

The case went to court, where the jury took only 26 minutes to clear Mr Harris of all charges.

Speaking out for the first time since this verdict, Mr Harris told TalkRadio: “My case delivers a very strong message to men wanting to become teachers – why that is not something they should do.

“There is a narrative now...that every male employee is being viewed through the lens of being a potential pervert. Every male teacher is a potential child-abuser.”

'Lottery ticket'

He went on to draw an analogy between becoming a male teacher and buying a lottery ticket.

“If you become a male teacher, you are buying that lottery ticket, whether you like it or not. Now, you might win the £10 lottery prize – there might be a false allegation that you called a child a rude name, or swore at a child.

“You might win the £1,000 prize, where a pupil suggests that you had inappropriately touched them as passing them in the corridor. Or you might win the £1 million jackpot prize: that you took a pupil into a classroom on three separate occasions, in full view of the entire school, and anally raped them.

“Now, whatever the prize in this awful lottery, I can’t see why anyone would want to have a ticket. And you can’t be a male teacher without having a ticket...I wouldn’t want to buy that ticket, and I don’t see why any man in their right mind would want to, either.”

Mr Harris said that it is vital that schools continue to take allegations against staff seriously, and to investigate them fully. But he added that the solution was for men "only to teach boys, or not to teach at all".

Baggage

He believes that he would struggle to return to teaching, even if he had any intention to do so. “I can go back to teaching, on paper,” he said. “In reality, I won’t go back to teaching. Not only because I don’t think – with all the goodwill in the world – I don’t think any teaching recruiter would want to give me a job. Because, however innocent I am, I have baggage.”

He said that he still experiences “terrifying flashbacks and memories” of his experiences. And he has “a residual feeling of misery about everything I lost”.

But he said: “The reality is that I’m enormously grateful to have everyday problems that so many other people face, rather than the nightmarish fantasy problems that hopefully very few people will ever experience in their entire lives.”

11. paulstjohn2014

The Hippo
    Not sure what your post has to do with the request of the original poster. Maybe after months of warning signs you have finally lost the plot! I suggest you stick to the thread tile or refrain.

12. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

What is this thread doing in the 'Retirement' section?

13. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

Because of the general age of the frequenters

14. MegMorris1

MegMorris1 New commenter

If you are a teacher who thinks you need to hit children in order to make them behave, you really need to change career. Quickly.

15. sabram86

sabram86 New commenter

I am not sure we are that much more humane than our forebears. We now drug children rather than cane them, which is hardly better. It allows us to medicalise rather than moralise.

I am not sure the problem was the abolition of the cane so much as the erosion of respect for teaching, teachers and study itself. Where such respect exists, it's perfectly possible to have high standards of work and behaviour - look at China and other Far Eastern countries. That's a moral and social problem that can be solved without the need of corporal punishment.

CP did serve well in that it was a "short, sharp shock". We could do that these days by making pupils do press ups or a short run. The same principle, but without touching or physically harming children. It'd be rather good for them!