1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Mar 3, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Surely if there were to be actual classes there would be a timetable?
    [​IMG]

2. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

How about if we all self isolate for 7 days? All of us probably have an underlying health condition we may not be fully aware of but given a little thought, would remember. Bronchitis aged 11? Touch of childhood asthma? Hay fever leading to wheezing? There you go.

However, I have no objection at all to coming in on a rota to LOOK AFTER ESSENTIAL WORKERS’ KIDS but I’ll be damned sooner than come in to teach classes while this virus isn’t under control. Also, I want hand sanitiser freely available and perhaps a face mask, even if I’m covering a rota for 6 kids per room sitting far apart.

Has someone told Nicola her instructions are being ignored?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. grayst

grayst New commenter

For what it's worth, in Edinburgh schools all pupils and staff are out all week, no exceptions.

The instructions changed Friday mid-morning. I was annoyed at the time since I'd just spent 2 hours finding second prelims to do, but now I'm glad.

You might want to let your management know and ask if it's good enough for Edinburgh, how come it doesn't apply to you.

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Right, sorry for being a bit thick, but:

1) Are schools open from tomorrow, or not?
    2) Are teachers obliged to go in, or not?

5. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

No and No
    NS made it even clearer this afternoon, no S4 to S6 pupils have to attend school. Schools have closed as places of learning, school buildings will be used as emergency childcare centres. Teachers should be at home ensuring continuity of learning for their classes. Any teachers going into school tomorrow clearly do not understand the life and death severity of the situation, irrespective of how much pressure HTs place on them.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  6. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

From a primary perspective. We are in school tomorrow (no children) to find out which of our area’s schools will be the ‘community hub’ and what will be expected of us. Not sure what will happen for the rest of the week. I’m under the impression we will get our Easter break. However, the situation changes every 5 minutes so who really knows?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  7. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

And then... an hour later... no staff in school at all tomorrow. Watch this space.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  8. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

There was a press release at about 4. Up till then it was yes and yes BJ

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  9. johnw84

johnw84 New commenter

Borders Council here. All teachers still in school tomorrow!

10. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Hence my confusion!

11. mousey1394

mousey1394 New commenter

markbannan, Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  12. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

That link doesn't exactly say much, does it? Other than "we'll tell you how to estimate soon". Typical SQAspeak. Professional judgement? My bottom!

markbannan and Marisha like this.
  13. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

All around us we are seeing acts of kindness and community, from children simply looking out for their neighbours to firms, large and small, paying out wages many of them probably can't afford.

And then we have Sports Direct's Mike Ashley and Wetherspoon's Tim Martin trying to squeeze pennies, literally pennies, from their staff and customers.

When this global, once a century, health crisis is over let's hope that people remember the unacceptable face of capitalism.

davieee, sicilypat and catmother like this.
  14. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

Correct, they're fabulously wealthy. They get their profits and wealth from the ordinary people and, in general terms, i've no problem with that.

When this is over folk will continue to purchase their goods with money from the ordinary people (UK taxes) that they have shafted especially when the UK govt have guaranteed 80% or their wages. They, with all their profits couldn't even commit to pay their workers 20%.

Bear in mind that most of their workers are on fixed hours contracts i.e 16 hrs but may actually work 30hrs so Wetherspoons / JD Sports are only liable for 20% of 16hrs then it makes it even more galling.

My oldest works part time for a telephone company. Contractually for 16hrs per week but does more when Uni permits. They've guaranteed 16hrs per week for 3 months on full pay. No questions.

Ashley & Rice are rogues and should be shunned.

15. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

One week down, 21 to go till we return in August, or possibly Oct if social distancing continues into the autumn. Interesting piece on 'Politics Scotland' this morning on the long-term impact of lockdown/social distancing in terms of economy/retail. How do we think it will impact education long-term, if any? Will everything go back to normal? I think at the very least we will be expected to engage in more online learning for our pupils. Also I think more LAs will be looking to reduce the time spent in school buildings (to save money, of course). Those that havn't already moved to a 4.5 day week will quickly follow with some calling for and experimenting with a 4 day week.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  16. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Yes, I think there will be changes too. Driven by the need to save money, but presented as "lessons learned" by the government and councils.

Any move to distance learning will be tempered by the need to protect vulnerable people. I question this as an educational concern, rather it's a social concern.

4-day week? I can see it coming but don't see the savings. Staff will still need to be paid so are the savings purely heating etc? Perhaps a drive to reduce teacher salaries, given the late daily starts/early finishes and all those holidays?

Who knows?

17. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

In my experience, from the past week, very few kids are engaging with the online stuff provided.
    Out of the 100 or so pupils I've set up on MS teams via Glow only about 5 have uploaded material or engaged with me for assistance (and they are all S1.)

That's not to say others haven't done some work however I have no evidence that they have attempted anything.

When we do get back to school (which may well be in the autumn if we are "lucky") there will be major issues with S3 into S4 and S4 into S5 in terms of completing courses for exams in 2021.

It would be nice to know how the SQA will deal with that situation.

18. vforvendetta

vforvendetta New commenter

Been a while since I posted. Anyone know if anything is being done for supply teachers? My income stream has now dried up if the school stay shut.

19. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Sorry to hear that. Haven't heard a thing. Union?

20. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

The EIS sent an email out earlier saying they were in discussions regarding supply staff and hope to have an agreement in place soon.