1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

As Morrissey up there said, it’s doublespeak. Everyone oot but we have to make pretend to the public that somethings happening.

aypi and bigjimmy2 like this.
  2. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Well said, Effin. Absolute chaos in our neck of the woods. JS to LAs "You sort it out", LAs to Directors of Education "You sort it out", and now letters to HTs from Director of Education "You sort it out in your own school by making suitable arrangements". As far as I can see it, all schools shut tomorrow and all teachers should be working from home from next Monday to comply with the gov recommendations on social distancing. However many, probably most larger schools, will now be open next Monday with teachers asked (expected?) to attend to sort out the arrangements, whatever that means. Some of the most basic questions still remain unanswered. Teachers need to be very clear that if they agree to walk back into any school from next Monday they do so on a voluntary basis, you cannot be compelled. Neither can you be expected to do child care, again, you do this on a voluntary basis. The arrangements to care for the children of Key Workers in the event of a nationwide school closure is a Social Work issue, the fact that they hope (expect?) to use schools does not make it the responsibility of Education Depts, though Social Work would like to think so. For those who do volunteer to go in on Monday and agree to do child-care in the following weeks they need to ask the right questions in particular around personal safety and social distancing.

Gavster77, bigjimmy2 and Ezzie like this.
  3. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

EIS entirely in bed with SNP (Rumour has it that Larry Flanagan’s family went on holiday with JohnSwinney’s at Christmas) and area secretaries are fobbing us off with “this is a crisis, you’re all still getting paid, get into schools and staple photocopies or whatever madness your HT wants”. Unacceptable in every way. CLOSE THE SCHOOLS TO EVERYONE, NOW! OPEN DORMS OR FOOD BANK CAFES TO IMPOVERISHED FAMILIES BY ALL MEANS BUT CLOSE SCHOOLS!

subman68, MilkyBar Kid, Ezzie and 2 others like this.
  4. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

F

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

THE SSTA appear to be providing its members with some solid advice...........

The First Minister made a statement on Wednesday 18 March that all schools are closed as from the 17.00 on Friday 20 March. The closure of schools is on medical and scientific advice. There must be no normal lessons, including senior classes, taking place after this date as schools are closed.

Arrangements for making provision for children of key workers and vulnerable children in school buildings is at an early stage. The number of pupils and the number of staff (teacher and other workers) required has not been determined as yet.

Local authorities are making arrangements for meals for vulnerable children and this may involve the use of school buildings.

The detailed arrangements for pupils in S4 to S6 to meet the requirements of SQA during this emergency have not issued to schools. Until such time members are advised to work remotely and create no new work for pupils.

At this time no senior phase pupils should be in school and this was confirmed by the DFM John Swinney last night on television. No member should be asked to attend school to teach senior pupils at this time. SSTA would like to remind all members that it is important that teachers act professionally and with integrity during this difficult time. Any deviation from this may lead to claims of malpractice.

SSTA Advice

The first consideration for members is your own personal safety.

• If you, or a member of your household, have any of the symptoms then you must follow the health guidance and isolate.
    • If you have an underlying health condition, or are a part of a vulnerable group, you must work from home.
    • If you have caring responsibilities and are unable to make alternative arrangements then you must stay at home.
    • If you are not able to attend work please inform your employer in the normal way. Early notice is important.
    If you are fit for work

• Please inform your Headteacher that you are available and that you wish to volunteer your services.
    • Schools must ensure a ‘risk assessment’ has taken place that includes provision of necessary cleaning materials and measures to prevent close contact.
    • Schools need to prepare a schedule for the supervision of pupils and a rota for available staff.
    • Do not attend work if you have not been assigned a specific child caring responsibility. Avoid unnecessary journeys.
    • Do not attend work to take part in a meeting. This is an unnecessary risk.
    • All meetings must be conducted remotely.
    • All planning work should take place at home.
    Supply Teachers

During this difficult time of staff shortages all supply teachers are required. If you are fit to work please inform your local authority and ask to be assigned to a school. Please follow the advice above.

The situation is constantly changing and we will issue further advice in the coming days.

6. alynas

alynas New commenter

Very clear advice from the SSTA. Already some schools not following that - what on earth can staff do who have been told to go in on Monday?

alexmurraybrown likes this.
  7. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Don't go?

8. subman68

I posted a message I received from a senior consultant surgeon friend. I took it back down because I thought it would scare people. He made it very very clear that the behavior of schools would kill people. He has said life and death decision are already being made. The NHS capacity has tipped, surgery is being canceled, A&E surgery were not able to take place for everyone that needed it yesterday and people died. Don’t go to school, don’t ask kids to go to school. The idiot directors of education tweets that say “kids we have your back, school,open to senior on Monday”. Is a message from a lunatic that does not understand they are risking lives.

stay in, stay safe, honestly don’t do diy or let your kid on a trampoline. If you get injured the NHS can not help.

Hazza, bigjimmy2 and MilkyBar Kid like this.
  9. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I do not really understand this situation.

bojo and wee nicky both said that schools are closed. There are no exams this year.

Every school in England will be open on Monday. Looks like many schools in Scotland will be open too.
    The schools are providing child care to the children of key workers,. No actual teaching is to take place in England or Scotland.

So why are teachers involved in this at all?

I understand that some people will be happy to risk catching covi19 by child minding other peoples' children. I for one would not be happy to do this. This is the opposite of social distancing.

Effinbankers, Marisha, Hazza and 3 others like this.
  10. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

I appreciate the need for essential workers to be able to work and for their children to be looked after during this time however I fear (expect) that there will not be any real and meaningful H & S assessments taking place in schools.

At least the SSTA are making the correct noises....the EIS and NAS/UWT should be giving similar forceful advice to their members too.

In actual fact all the unions should be making it clear to the councils that if H&S concerns are not taken seriously and addressed then staff will self isolate.

I appreciate we are living in difficult times but I do not intend to endanger my health any more than is reasonable in current circumstances.

MilkyBar Kid, Marisha and sicilypat like this.
  11. Hazza

Hazza New commenter

In our area some parents and carers say are they are wanting to fire in their kids with challenging or violent behaviour into school next week claiming that their kids are vulnerable because of their ASN, without any concern that the best way to slow down the pandemic is to self-isolate at home, hence the closing of the schools. What if a teacher is spat at, coughed at or grappled by a covid-19 carrier? I can understand that children of key workers need to be safe for medical and food production reasons. However, I worry this will be open to abuse by people who want to pass their responsibility of parenting to others, even if it means increasing the spread of the virus and overwhelming our NHS.

12. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I have a suspicion that they might get away with it if they have an official diagnosis of ADHD or ODD. Would hope that any kid who just has 'behavioural problems' woudl be sent back home.

ETA Thinking about it, I guess the school could point out that they'd need to run risk assessments, as per SSTA advice?

Hazza likes this.
  13. Hazza

Hazza New commenter

The risk assessment needs to be done when decisions are made. School leaders will have to balance the needs of vulnerable children and the safety of their staff and families. I think there will very tense discussions going on next week between SLT, teachers and parents to resolve this. Not to mention the chaos and lack of clarity caused by the SQA regarding completing assessments.

14. newby23

newby23 New commenter

Are people writing to their MP/MSP/Swinney to seek clarification on how the SQA's decision is supposed to work and why it is being enforced?

15. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Stuff all this doom and gloom. How about a sweep-stake to see which of us looses a family member first? If enough of us chip in it might even cover the funeral costs.

16. subman68

Posted on another thread. I have friends and family working in hospitals, consultants A&E and consultant surgeon. They are scared and begging people to stay in. Why would you listen to a HT or DoE? I have written to Nicola and DFM and asked them to make it clear schools are shut. Do not add and abet the killing of others.

MilkyBar Kid and alexmurraybrown like this.
  17. alynas

alynas New commenter

It's not easy to refuse to come in if your HT has told you to.
    Really don't want to list my children as being the children of key workers either, very little guidance on what to do here.

18. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Relax. No teacher will be involved in any childcare arrangements at Community Hubs (schools). Schools have closed. School buildings are now being used to facilitate childcare for the children of keyworkers and vulnerable pupils. In our area the Council has closed every facility to maintain social distancing, e.g. leisure centres, pools, libraries, etc so there are hundreds of council workers at home (many pvg cleared) whom they will be using first before calling on teachers, who in any case are expected to continue learning for their pupils remotely. I don't understand why some HTs are calling staff in tomorrow, meetings should be conducted remotely as the SSTA highlighted. I don't expect any teacher to return to school until August.

19. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

20. newby23

newby23 New commenter

I know for a fact that at least one council is opening tomorrow and Tuesday to get pupils to complete SQA assignments. All over each school's social media, a directive from their director. Unbelievable pressure on staff and pupils from SQA. I hope many MPs and MSPs are being inundated with emails.

QUOTE="MilkyBar Kid, post: 13063432, member: 223202"]Relax. No teacher will be involved in any childcare arrangements at Community Hubs (schools). Schools have closed. School buildings are now being used to facilitate childcare for the children of keyworkers and vulnerable pupils. In our area the Council has closed every facility to maintain social distancing, e.g. leisure centres, pools, libraries, etc so there are hundreds of council workers at home (many pvg cleared) whom they will be using first before calling on teachers, who in any case are expected to continue learning for their pupils remotely. I don't understand why some HTs are calling staff in tomorrow, meetings should be conducted remotely as the SSTA highlighted. I don't expect any teacher to return to school until August.[/QUOTE]