1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Mar 3, 2020.

1. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I'm sure pupils like that turn up in the likelihood that "something" will happen, and they could perhaps contribute to it.

Wrt your DHT, it just backs up everything I've ever claimed about "managers" in schools: they've worked with weans their entire career and treat people who work for them likewise. Hardly anything "new" happens so they've no decisions to make (this is an exception of course). So-called leaders are merely waiting on someone in the council making the decision to close their school.

"Granting" and "patching"?

2. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Fife expressions. My mum used to use 'ganting' - gasping or panting.

I've only ever seen youngsters using 'patches' to mean 'blanks someone'. -

Two Fife schools are sending S1 and 2 home - lack of staff. However, looks like everything's shut next week.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  3. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Someone I know was sent home by her HT yesterday - she (not the HT) is heavily pregnant.

4. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Game over, schools shut. Now can someone at the SQA sort out what they are doing?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. subman68

So just heard that north Lanarkshire are saying schools closed but teachers should go in. What a joke. I hope everyone of them turns up and then signs out with either McCrone or illness

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  6. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Not so fast. As we speak LAs are vigourously working out how many schools they will need to keep open for key workers' kids, which will end up more than you think with delivery drivers, etc. I suspect half of primaries will be kept open with a max of 8 pupils per class, 2m separation during class time, with teachers in full protective clothing, rigourous hand hygiene and regular deep cleaning. Anything less and we should simply walk away. We all need protection. I can't see them reopening any secondaries so don't know what we'll be doing after Easter.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    bigjimmy2 and inthered like this.
  7. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    NLC at its best - now we are social workers and child minders.

bigjimmy2 and inthered like this.
  8. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

I don’t mind going in a day a week on rotation for the vulnerable and essential. But I’m not happy at being told to get in on Monday when we don’t know w t f is going on, when I could just as well work from home and not be in contact with folk (mainly other disgruntled teachers) who might be carrying and passing on the virus. Not sure N Lan have grasped the concept of social distancing.

There also seems to be some suggestion that if you have to take special leave to look after your own children you’ll only be paid for 3 days as per usual circumstances. Doesn’t seem reasonable in the circumstances.

Ezzie likes this.
  9. GuessWho

I agree that it would make sense to have an equitable rota if NLC/SG insist in schools, in effect, remaining open.

And....who is going to police which kids are to attend.

Unless strict conditions and criteria are in place we are likely to attract some of our "less focused" kids who will just turn up for a carry on.

I can picture the scene.....

"Chantelle, if your folks at home are not essential workers and you are not vulnerable or sitting exams, go home!"

Alice K, Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  10. subman68

Chantelle’s & Chelsys mum and latest “uncle” will be raging that they are at home asking for lunch when it is prime Loose Woman time. And don’t you know little Khaleessi and Tyrons dad said teachers are just lazy, they are getting paid, so you 2 get to school (round about 10.30) after dad got up late and stopped them watching YouTube

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  11. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Loose Woman has been cancelled, so has Eastenders (filming of).

'Chantelle' may be an 'at risk' child. I would never turn away any child from school. Even if they just sat there and played on their phone all day (under these circumstances).

12. GuessWho

I did mention the word "vulnerable" in my post which equates to at risk.

If schools are "closed" they are so for a reason.

One of my concerns is that we become a dumping ground for parents who don't want to take responsibility for their kids.

If numbers begin to rise again in school then what's the point of "closing" them.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  13. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

So Coronovirus doesn't attack groups of key workers' kids? Or infect those sitting/invigilating exams?

CLOSE THE SCHOOLS AND CLOSE THEM COMPLETELY NOW!

14. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself.

We are responsible for pupils' education, and nothing else. What you are talking about is called "social work". I did not come into teaching to babysit children: at 14-year-old is allowed to babysit and we are all a bit more qualified than that.

Ezzie likes this.
  15. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Schools are not closing. They have to stay open to babysit the children of key workers.

Obviously we do not know who key workers are yet so we do not really know how many students we are talking about.

Can a council ask teachers to do deliveries of food to pensioners?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  16. Gavster77

No. Your SNCT contract does not cover this. You are not an employee of the council in terms of "general health, hygiene, land and fleet" like Support Assistants are. Support assistants may be. There is a crisis clause in their contract.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  17. Gavster77

The lack of actual clarity is profound.

morrisseyritual and bigjimmy2 like this.
  18. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

"... there was, to begin with, vaguery. Prisoners looked to guards for answers. Grandparents to infants. Decree was given and the confusion it created discombobulated the mind. Telling a man what to do, when he's eager to obey but not how to do it, has him on a hook. You can do anything with a man like that" George Orwell, 'Forbidding Madrid' (1935)

alexmurraybrown and aypi like this.
  19. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Wish I knew what that meant, m!

Gavster77 likes this.
  20. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Thought clarity might have been provided today, but Swinney couldn't have muddied the waters any more if he had emptied a big bucket of sheyite into them

Schools are shut but coursework needs to be completed? How the F is that supposed to happen?

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.