1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Catherine25

Catherine25 New commenter

Ka058 you are not the only one.

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Get to your doctor asap, an emergency appointment if you need to. I'd also contact your union asap too, they'll give you specific advice. You need time off if I'm reading things correctly.

MilkyBar Kid likes this.
  3. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

I find it hard to believe that Aberdeen City schools are expected to return full-time this week. I don't know what the local union view is on the ground but they should be putting the brakes on any full-time return until full risk assessments have taken place given the clear presence of community transmission.

The whole premise of "schools closed last" needs to be challenged, where is the science to back this up? Look at how that went in March, we should have been closed 1 or 2 weeks earlier.

Most studies agree that re-opening schools full-time with no social distancing adds at least 0.2 to the R number taking us over 1.0 where it gets out of control again.

Some poor school somewhere, probably a secondary, is going to be hit bad by this killer virus, with politicians falling over themselves to claim that they never wanted to re-open schools full-time, wait and see.

PamDemic and WitchFingers like this.
  4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I agree MBK, and said so myself a while back. There doesn't seem to be a real consensus wrt transmission of the virus and schools. In the past couple of days I've read of some German schools being closed again after the virus resurfaced, and of there being no recorded cases in schools worldwide. Who to believe?

PamDemic likes this.
  5. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

I don't disagree with your issues with opening schools and the legitimate concerns with the lack of social distancing, but my doctor friend is appalled at the continued use of the R number as an indicator. If cases are really low, as they are for most of Scotland, the R number doesn't really mean anything.

It's the number of cases that per population that is of far more concern. We don't even know how infectious this disease actually is or whether its actually airborne.

6. offhegoes

offhegoes New commenter

I get that the presence of the virus in the community is the most important thing, but I’m not sure I could agree with “the R number doesn’t mean anything”.

The cases per 100,000 tells you where you’re at and dictates how comfortable you might feel out and about right now, but the R number tells you where things are going.

7. WitchFingers

WitchFingers New commenter

From Travelling Tabby on Twitter... age breakdown of today's infections. 15-19 year olds were the largest group testing positive (16 out of 52).
    https://ibb.co/DYN1XnW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PamDemic likes this.
  8. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53753856

Pupils at a Glasgow secondary school are among eight people to have tested positive in a coronavirus cluster in the city.

NHS officials said the pupils at Bannerman High School in Baillieston all tested positive before the school returned on Wednesday morning.

They are all currently self-isolating at home, and none have actually attended school.

All eight of the cases are said to be only experiencing mild symptoms.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC) said test and protect staff had been contacting anyone else who may be affected by the cluster.

They were said to be working closely with the school and a number of other local businesses to trace any close contacts of the eight confirmed cases.

'No added risk'
    But the health board said there was "no added risk" to teachers or pupils who were returning to school.

It said no further details of the cluster would be made public for patient confidentiality reasons.

Dr Linda de Caestecker, the director of public health at NHSGGC, said the cluster was being "thoroughly investigated and managed".

She said advice had been given to the school and other places the eight cases had visited.

Dr de Caestecker added: "Anyone affected will be contacted through the Test and Protect service.

"We want to reassure the wider community and especially pupils and teachers returning to school that there is no added risk due to this cluster.

"We also want to remind people to stay off school or work and get tested if they experience any symptoms."

9. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

10. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

This is an interesting spin.

Coronavirus is no more deadly than the flu, and the only reason it's killing more people is that we have no immunity to it

[​IMG]

11. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

What's your source for that?

12. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  13. Scubadt

Scubadt New commenter

MilkyBar Kid likes this.
  14. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Time to take out one of those daytime TV funeral plans?

MilkyBar Kid likes this.
  15. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Methinks Buckfast, late nights and public parks might be involved, not so much the school

Other fortified wines are available

bigjimmy2 and PamDemic like this.
  16. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

I think the worrying aspect is that it was a group of school age kids obviously meeting outside school.
    What possibly could go wrong when similarly aged kids are confined in a classroom for an hour or so with no distancing or face masks?

17. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

Big Jimmy,

I don’t know about Germany, but there are certainly coronavirus cases spread via schools:

“New outbreak data shows that abattoirs and warehouses are the workplace settings with the most COVID-19 cases. But aged care, healthcare providers, schools and households remain the major places for transmission of the virus in Victoria.

“Figures released by the Health Department on Wednesday show aged/residential care accounted for most outbreak infections, with 137 outbreaks and 2453 cases between June 1 and August 11.

“Schools had 69 outbreaks and 630 cases …

(https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ons-as-active-cases-drop-20200812-p55l0l.html)

Australia had performed magnificently in suppressing the virus (e.g., with only four deaths per million people), and then the Victorian government failed with hotel quarantine and the virus is now stampeding through the state. By “failed”, I mean the private security guards ignored safety precautions, reportedly including having sex with those they were meant to be guarding. Victorian schools have now been closed to all but vulnerable children and the children of essential workers. We are under a severe lock down, with a curfew in Melbourne for the first time in the state’s history. The rest of the country has closed its borders to us. Even Victorian children who used to cross the border to South Australia to go to school may no longer do so.

In summary, children are less affected by the virus, but it is transmitted in schools and from them to families of students, teachers and others.

bigjimmy2, sicilypat and PamDemic like this.
  18. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

Two texts from a certain LA. One told me to check my email.

The email told me that LA is offering CPD to supply teachers - all online, because of Covid-19.

The other text was offering supply work in a high school where, no doubt, staff are still teaching classes of 30.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  19. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Seems logical to me. They wouldn't want to risk their valuable CPD trainers coming into contact with teachers who've been shut in a room with 30 kids for hours on end.

markbannan, sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  20. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Heads/tails and Covid/no Covid.