1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

What?! A nice, sweet retired old lady like me?

Shocked I am. Shocked.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  2. Marisha

Well, in some parts of the country they've cancelled study leave to stop kiddies getting into mischief and unleashing a crime spree on the local shopping centres. Being a cynical old biddy, I suspect that that's one of the considerations here. Who cares about the teaching staff, eh?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Yeah, they'll be stealing toilet roll and selling it in single sheets like the ice cream vans used to do with cigarettes.

A single sheet for £1 anyone?

Marisha likes this.
  4. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

I'll be self isolating. For weeks.

Don't get this teachers need to help the "national interest" guff, when the government is preparing to PAY groups like BUPA for their hospitals. Just take them F.F.S. Even in times of a crisis, someone has their hand in the till.

5. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

We have had the message that if schools close teachers will be asked to "volunteer" in the local community to help those that are in need, this was put in with "you will be getting paid the LA can ask that you do this.

What do you think?
    At the same meeting we were also told that a further prelim should be done before Easter.

So are the schools closing? or are we doing a prelim before Easter. Think there might be some confused mixed messages from council managers not having a clue what is going on.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I think "no". I think anyone would need to follow their union's advice. Another point would be what the "volunteer" tasks are: eg, imagine being asked to wipe an 89-year-old's bottom. Or worse. Volunteer? Pfft.

Prelims etc need to go by the wayside for now.

You are quite right though, council managers don't have a clue what's going on and almost certainly lack the ability to think for themselves and take the initiative (which is mostly why they work in councils, cos they can't cut it in private industry where it's a tad more competitive).

7. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

Getting increasingly worried here as a 61 year old cancer survivor working in ASN . One member of teaching staff at my school is at home self isolating, though not tested, and HT himself has daughter isolating at home - though he has turned up for work. Another staff member, who is super stressed by whole situation, will be off from today. So my timetable has now been altered and, from tomorrow, I take classes I have never taught and find myself on minimum non contact time yet again. I understand that everyone has to do their bit to deal with unusual circumstances, but am hugely dismayed by the lack of union guidance about protecting vulnerable staff.

Freddie92, bigjimmy2 and Marisha like this.
  8. Marisha

Gavster77, Freddie92, Alice K and 2 others like this.
  9. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

The whole system will break down by the weekend with half-filled classes and staffrooms, so can't see us continuing beyond that. The 14 day household isolation will effectively close many schools. Some schools have already started to deep clean, that will descend into a farce with perpetual deep cleans. Councils will want their pound of flesh from teachers and try to redeploy them elsewhere, especially if it's a 4 month closure, so we better be careful here.

sicilypat, bigjimmy2 and Marisha like this.
  10. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

The deep cleans because someone in the school has tested +ve must go by the board now that testing is no longer being done routinely. Our place sent 2 kids home on different days last week; neither tested, apparently. Could just be a cold or chest infection but it’d be nice to know. And get the place scrubbed. Washing hands is all very well, and not that I’m licking door handles to get sent home yet, but still...

sicilypat, Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  11. subman68

Yes I want to know why the union are working with the SG to keep schools open rather than working to protect the union members. I am not meant to go to a restaurant or a pub, go to the cinema or sports event but I can sit with 30 kids x 6 periods per day, now idea how hygienic they are. Yes I am just a babysitter keeping kids busy while families do other things. What am I paying a union for.

12. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Completely agree. We are effectively being thrown under a bus 'for the common good'. NHS unions are demanding full protective clothing for their members, we've got wet wipes if we're lucky. This whole idea that closing schools will make no difference is a complete nonsense, to cocoon 700 kids in a giant petri dish riddled with the virus who will then go home and cause every member of their family to be isolated for 14 days is plain madness. If schools close the kids should not be meeting up with their mates outdoors, and even if they do they are probably safer outside than inside a school. A parent phoned me this morning feeling distressed, her daughter is fit and healthy with no symptoms but she has an elderly relative at home with cancer, she asked me what should she do. I told her to keep her daughter off as family comes first which goes against current gov policy. BJ told the country earlier to send healthy kids into school, clearly he does not have elderly relatives at home with cancer.

bigjimmy2, Marisha and sicilypat like this.
  13. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Schools staying open makes no sense. None.

bojo did not even try to defend it. He just said there were many reasons.

As pointed out above, in practical terms the schools will close anyway due to lack of staff. Give it a few days.

bigjimmy2 and MilkyBar Kid like this.
  14. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

Late to the party here but a few things I have observed and read:

Deep cleans are a waste of time as the virus is mainly spread through the air... by an infected person coughing and their droplets entering your mouth or even just by them talking and breathing close to you hence the "keep 2 metres away". Yes hand washing is good but as long as you don't touch your face and wash your hands you will be fine unless you breathe in an infected person's air. And some are asymptomatic. Google the scientific research if you don't believe me. We need to keep away from kids as they are super spreaders and if you have someone in your family who is vulnerable - I think you should think about staying off.

The main problem and worry is that come May and June there will be so many people infected that the ones who need critical treatment won't all receive it due to lack of resources. THAT'S the main reason people are dying in Lombardy - one of Italy's richest regions.

The Government (all of them) have been inadequately prepared for this, yet has had since early January so enact the buying of more ventilators and creating more ICU beds. A Pandemic has always been a major concern for Britain since the threat of Nuclear War receded (and even while that was our main threat).

Back in the day I think they could have just kept it all quiet (in terms of the number of deaths etc) and they would have written off a small percentage of the elderly and vulnerable as collateral damage. But with more Press and media, the 24 hour news cycle, and of course Social Media, people ask questions and find out a lot more as well as share a lot more. Doctors can vlog from their hospitals and tell the world exactly what is going on.

Yes, people will sadly die. Some will. But if a person dies due to lack of ventilators, lack of staff, lack of ICU beds... that's PREVENTABLE. That is on them. How dare they.

As for closing schools? Should have been the first thing they did and then bring in a regulated child care policy for key workers. Again surely this is something that should be in the Pandemic planning they have revisited time and again.

I think no matter what, post Coronavirus (whenever that is) the public will demand change. Change for a properly funded NHS. Change for a more caring society. I certainly hope so, and I do believe it will happen.

Stay safe everyone. This will probably be the biggest event of our lives.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

2020 what did you do to us?

Alice K, sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  16. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

And 9.5 months of it to go!

17. cheescake

cheescake New commenter

Disappointed at the lack of union voice and coordination of our views on this pressing matter.
    Why are they not lobbying for us to have testing, as the vital 'front line' keeping society and health care staff going?
    Why are the unions not posting every day about the key worries of the day, and how they are challenging the Government?

frostbear, sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  18. subman68

So the minister for education has closed his office and will be working from home. But he wants me and you to run the gauntlet of being in a school with kids that carry a virus but don’t show the effect. Thanks John Swinney thanks. The hypocrisy is strong in that one.

19. Marisha

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  20. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

The most illness I'm seeing experienced by school staff is the stress and confusion of those "gantin'" for the school to shut and those having to try and work with them - as usual in these circumstances - the wee darling who's had multiple exclusions and regularly "patches" classes, being one of the few pupils turning up.

Nothing shores up the inertia and inexperience of a great many managers than situations like this. A lead-swinging DHT, gently entreated by a group of staff yesterday, actually resorted to snapping "don't know and get to your class" in a tantrum mantra.

The mass hysteria is outweighing the actual cases of this disease methinks.

Alice K and bigjimmy2 like this.