1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

TF I'm retired.

Sorry.

Effinbankers, alanuk and bigjimmy2 like this.
  2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

No need to apologise, M. I'm sure you've worked your donkey off all your life.

Marisha and alanuk like this.
  3. alanuk

alanuk New commenter

I don't blame you one bit! This is going to end up a complete mess. At least at school I'm in, I have a sensible HT who has said that she doesn't want or expect any or all teachers showing up on 8th June, however, trying to work out how the pupils return is causing a problem because as John Swinney has said it is up to local authorities, North Lan seem to be wanting every primary following the same model. Our HT is going to try going down a route where the school closes for one day a week for a clean. So I'm guessing this is when McCrone will be factored in. However, I thought the union would be more on the ball with regards to all of this because the Education Secretary clearly is clueless. Pass the buck again.

I believe Perth and Kinross council (possibly them) have also relaxed their ruling on teachers remote learning via video now as well so I'm sure that won't be long until it's filtered to all other authorities.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Swinney delegated the decision on pupils returning to councils so he doesn't have responsibility for it if/when it goes breasts up: it's called passing the buck.

Interesting that Adolf Putin did something similar in Russia close to the start of the outbreak. If I remember correctly he gave authority to local governments on how to implement their lockdown, so he could claim "it wisnae me" if it all went wrong.

Marisha likes this.
  5. Catherine25

Catherine25 New commenter

Has anyone been given information from their school when they are expected to come in during June? We haven't heard a thing yet.

6. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Our school will be open to staff from 15th June, IF they want to go in and set things up.

No compulsion to attend and work from home still applies. No P7 bump up days either

Marisha, bigjimmy2 and Catherine25 like this.
  7. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

Our school - all staff should report Monday 8th (I assume not those shielding) - SMT in from Monday 1st

HT is hinting that all staff will not have to be in all the time but I shall be pointing out that if the work being done in school can be done at home then that should be accepted without any problem.

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  8. lc2222

lc2222 New commenter

Is any other authority planning for P1 transition visits in the last week? We have been told they are to take place but not a lot more information given so far. Parents not allowed to come in unless they 'need to'.

9. GuessWho

My secondary school is expecting parents and P7s to visit the school w/b 15th June.
    And..w/b 22nd the P7s should experience time in secondary receiving some transition lessons.
    (Despite the fact that there has already been an open night for them in September and when in P6 and throughout P7 these pupils have visited the school on a regular basis)

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I wonder how I managed to make the transition from primary to secondary school in the early 70s without ever having visited the place/having transition days/meeting my new teachers. This was France but I wonder what it was like in Scotland at that time?

Marisha, bigjimmy2 and GuessWho like this.
  11. GuessWho

In the 70s I visited my secondary one afternoon to take part in a football tournament.
    That was my transition experience.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  12. Effinbankers

Sounds way better than a full day, consisting of an some RE and Home Economics

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  13. Effinbankers

Education is really effed up when the priority seems to be lessons for those not yet in the school. Stuff your Higher classes!!

Madness

Marisha, bigjimmy2 and GuessWho like this.
  14. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

In education, remember, and it's being seen to be doing something that's important: primary transition sits right up that street.

Marisha, GuessWho and catmother like this.
  15. Marisha

Aye. It's good PR. Before I retired, I recall some PTs tearing their hair out, because they were required to pull staff out of teaching their actual pupils in order to teach 'skills' to blocks of P6 kids. They also were expected to leave work for their own classes, of course. There was quite a furore at one point.

One time, my idiot Head volunteered one of my departments to take every single ruddy P6 kid in our catchment for a full day. Did it at an area group meeting and didn't tell me until it was a fait accompli.

I finished up sorting out the mess. We didn't have enough staff in the department to deal with all the primaries at one time. I had to phone round all the primaries and organise a separate day for each one. (Mind you, in every single case it was made clear by the primary management that they knew what my HT was like.)

I recall we had the opportunity to learn netball during the Fair Fortnight when I was in Primary 6. The boys got basketball. That was it. I think it was an initiative to keep us poor, deprived working class kids off the streets and out of trouble.

Other than that, I didn't see the high school until the day I started there.

Actually, I've just remembered one thing: during the summer play scheme/school we damned nearly set fire to the high school by accident. This may be TMI for the gents so feel free to stop reading.

Final warning.

There was a strange machine in the girls' toilets next to the changing room. It said 'Sanitary Towel Disposal. It was a miniature incinerator attached the wall, close to the sinks. We thought it referred to the paper towels used for drying our hands... We thought it was marvellous - they didn't have anything like that at the primary school.

The PE teacher stopped us from shoving any more in, before we set the place alight. That would have been' 71.

All things considered, it's probably a good idea to keep P6 kids out of secondary.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  16. Marisha

Can't edit now, but should have said 'separate half day' with regard to the P6 kids tale above.

I really don't see the point in sending the P7/S1 kids into the secondary schools as guinea pigs.

Sending in the Higher kids to sort out their timetables might make more sense, but perhaps they don't want the kids knowing what grades they've been awarded until the normal results day? (I should imagine there might be some awkward conversations: 'Well, Wayne, we can't tell you what you've got, but we think you should be repeating N5 maths...') Also, older children are supposed to be more likely to fall ill, aren't they?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  17. teachaaaaaa

teachaaaaaa New commenter

I am in the difficult situation of having to allow kids to sit in classes knowing they have been estimated a fail but they dint know it and we don’t know *** the SQA will do so know we have coursing nightmare to come in August. I can see why some people may think that putting P7 transition pupils in before our current darlings may be an odd decision but this can allow for heading off problems later. Also whether people like it or not, perception is a very important tool. Indeed if we are ‘seen’ to be doing stuff it gains a lot of community goodwill. It does also take time for P7 parents to let go of the apron strings...this helps and provides reassurance. Part of my remit is parental engagement and family learning so I can assure you it makes everyone’s lives simpler to provide reassurance.

18. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Just read those past few posts, posted at some godawful times btw, don't you people ever go to bed?! (C) Mick Jagger/Keith Richards 1965 . . .

From those posts, the overwhelming feeling I get is of children being mollycoddled at school and - here's my point - wouldn't it be far, far simpler all round if the weans just bleedin' well did what they were told to?

Marisha and GuessWho like this.
  19. Marisha

Insomnia.

I admit to being an old dragon, but I do think that transition days are overrated. Get the kids in at the beginning of term, tell them what's expected of them* and then get on with it. In my experience, on transition days, children are often not placed with the staff they'll see in August anyway, given that people tend to retire or otherwise move on at the end of a term. They all seem to lose their timetables and all memory of their 'experience' over the holidays anyway.

*This might might make a refreshing change from all the onus being placed on staff.

20. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

Well here we go again in domineering management land. We have been told we have to go to school for the last 2 weeks of term - 3 days in school per week and other days preparing resilience. 9.30 till 2pm per day .We will be tasked with moving furniture and bonding with our new "bubbles", staff with whom we will be suffering together next term. We need to be in school to make break out spaces and outdoor learning. ? Tbh SSTA no help with this at all.

bigjimmy2 likes this.