1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Mar 3, 2020.

1. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-51725646

School closes in Liverpool, not due to staff or pupil contracting the virus, but because a parent has it. Is this taking it a bit too far? Can't see that happening in our neck of the woods, our parents would be demanding their free baby-sitting service be kept open even if we're swimming in coronavirus.

siansimmonds and bigjimmy2 like this.
  2. WitchFingers

WitchFingers New commenter

Where do we stand with regards to being paid if the school is closed for 12 weeks?

3. MilkyBar Kid

Highly unlikely that schools will close for that length of time. Any schools that do close will be for a few days to do a deep clean, probably tagged on to Easter hols. The biggest issue that I can see is the disruption that virus-frenzy causes. Given that the advice is to keep it to yourself and self-isolate if you think you have it how many GPs will hand out 2 week sick-lines without seeing the patient, no chance of that being abused is there! Schools will be big petri dishes for the virus as parents will send kids in no matter what, I can hear it now "Yes, I know Chelsea is burning up and has a wee cough but it's probably just her tanning session"

siansimmonds, GuessWho and bigjimmy2 like this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Still begs the question about pay. UAE has closed all schools for 4 weeks.
    Is it safe to assume that if a similar call is made in Scotland that teachers will get paid?
    I am also interested in how teachers could be asked to do online teaching using google classroom and the like. During closure, do teachers need to do online lessons?

5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

1) Yes, closing schools just now would be a massive over-reaction. Pupils would blame school closures for not "doing so well" (ie failing) in their upcoming exams; next year some pupils will demand a second chance at N5s because of "yon disease, dae ye no' remember it?". Some parents would be up in arms at schools closing and getting their daily doses of funeral plan and equity release adverts interrupted.

2) I would imagine that teachers would get paid. Otherwise I would like to think the unions have enough backbone to strike big time. Need to work from home, though, perhaps with a need to prove it.

3) Some pupils place more importance on phone ownership and their personal appearance than on their education. Often given silly names like Chelsea, Lola and ManUtd, there's nothing that can be done educationally for these children so they don't really matter anyway if they turn up or not.

4) UAE probably closed all their schools for a week because they can: the UAE is a dictatorship and so they can do what they want.

I've heard, albeit anecdotally, that people are beginning to panic buy. There was a story in my feed about a fight in Australia over toilet rolls: gawd help us if our collective bottoms aren't lavender-fresh.

siansimmonds and MilkyBar Kid like this.
  6. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

In Scotland, by law, if your public sector employer sends you home, for any reason - you continue to be paid. NO NEED TO PROVE YOU'RE WORKING FROM HOME!!!!!!!!

catmother and bigjimmy2 like this.
  7. bigjimmy2

Any coronavirus jokes out there?

8. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

It's highly likely that some sort of restrictions on freedoms will come into being and I wouldn't be surprised if schools were closed. The Easter holidays might well start earlier.

Italy had 200 cases a fortnight ago - there are now about 10,000.

This virus spreads incredibly quickly - doing nothing to protect the population is not really an option

WitchFingers likes this.
  9. MilkyBar Kid

I think at the very least the SG should be advising LAs to prepare for worst case scenarios which would include school closures, probably before Easter. LAs should be cascading this down to schools in terms of possible assessment deadlines being brought forward and senior pupils access to teaching staff during closures, Microsoft Teams anyone (or no-one!).

WitchFingers likes this.
  10. Gavster77

Agree with the above. Make sure your union reps are on the frontline for any attempts at management to make you work over the holidays. School closure means school closure - and whether or not wee Johnny gets into the law course at uni in a timeous manner is not our locus.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  11. MilkyBar Kid

So what's being muted now in the absence of complete school closures is to run a skeleton school service for keyworkers, i.e. children whose parents work in essential services, e.g. health, education, social care, police, etc. Would this work in your school? I could imagine a few tenuous links being proposed by some of our parents to ensure their kids are out of the house. In practice they would just send them in anyway and see what happens, will schools turn away children in the event of a national emergency?

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  12. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I heard the proposal for a babysitting service for key workers mentioned on newsnight last night by a professor of something.
    Totally impractical. All parents would send their sprogs for free babysitting while parents get on the xbox.

Effinbankers, Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  13. bigjimmy2

Slowly edging to school closures methinks . . .

WitchFingers and sicilypat like this.
  14. Gavster77

Yes, and it has to mean full closure. Work stops. Period.

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  15. bigjimmy2

With the Easter holidays on the horizon I can see the seniors being told not to return until August, just turn up for the exams.

Parents - some of whom have never given second thought to it before - will, of course, kick up ***** about their sprogs' right to an education when, in fact, they mean they will have to put up with their own weans for a while (16 weeks?! ).

It will be interesting to see the emotional bullying from "management" that will take place over the next few weeks to get pupils through their exams. The "extra mile" will be mentioned many times. Remember, you have your own families to think about and they take precedence over everything else.

MilkyBar Kid and Marisha like this.
  16. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I did a day's supply last week. Was asked to go in next week. I have declined. My husband is in the high risk group and I'm not prepared to take chances.

One little charmer had a bit of a cold and was doing the coughing whilst failing to cover and grinning routine. The good thing about being retired is that I no longer need to put up with that kind of excrement.

In all honesty, I like being able to help kids but I'm not prioritising them over my health and the health of my husband.

17. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

One of the ways to attempt to curtail the spread of the virus is to wash hands frequently in warm soapy water for around 20 seconds.

In my school there are around 700 pupils I think there are about 10 functioning sinks for the kids.

Here's a wee arithmetic problem for you.

Allowing one minute to wash and then dry hands how many pupils will be able to wash their hands during the 15 minute morning break and then again during the 45 minute lunch break?

( Success criteria will be based upon the most inventive or amusing or just plain ridiculous reply)

Marisha, bigjimmy2 and MilkyBar Kid like this.
  18. MilkyBar Kid

BJ & NS appear determined to keep schools open no matter what, flying in the face of the rest of Europe. A risky strategy especially when it hits schools and spreads like wildfire. If they can sort out emergency childcare arrangements for key workers, perhaps using closed primaries, then that might make closing schools a bit easier. I'm surprised how quiet the unions have been, they should be calling for immediate school closures to protect their members, rather than regurgitating gov policy of self-isolation and wash-n-go.

19. bigjimmy2

You're assuming all pupils know how to wash their hands!

20. bigjimmy2