1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Izzi, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Izzi

Izzi New commenter

Currently long term supply til end of the year. Presume that if school is closed due to coronavirus, I won't get paid? Anyone else been wondering about this?

mrstrishyb, bella2891 and sbkrobson like this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I am glad you posted this, as I was wondering the same too.
    I expect each case will be different.
    But in general, I think supply staff need to be stockpiling their pennies right now.

I do know Universal Credit is applicable as a salve, according to the DWP, but I would rather wipe my arrus on broken glarrus than face that particular process.

Does anybody have some accurate information on the rights of Supply staff in the event of school closure?
    I'm guessing the usual grim prognosis for agency workers

tonymars, pepper5 and Izzi like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I do not have any accurate information regarding the rights of supply staff, but from my experience of working for two for 10 years, I would say the chance of getting anything if schools close would be zero - especially for day to day staff. The situation for long term supply staff might be different, but it would probably depend on what money the agencies could get out of the schools.

Fat chance the millionaire directors of the agencies will care about a few supply teachers being kicked out of their homes because they couldn't earn money.

As far as Universal Credit is concerned, I totally agree with you; last year when I needed it, I almost threw myself over a bridge when applying and it is one of the most horrendous experiences to go through and that is no exaggeration. Even if you are able to get through the process, you have to wait 5 weeks for payment. For various reasons, we didn't claim in the end but I would sell my home and live in a hut before I applied for Universal Credit again.

All workers whether teachers are not, are facing the prospect of not being able to go to work if the coronavirus spreads in the UK.

4. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Yes I have been wondering about this, too. I guess, as members of the increasing zero hours workers, we won't get a sausage.

Universal credit? I've never tried to claim as it's not just the attitude of those who deal with this, not just the delay, but also the fact that you have to be virtually broke to even stand a chance of being eligible. I think.

The virus? I have many questions. Why, for example, talk about schools closing, and not places where other groups of people gather, such as public transport, offices??! One thing I am sure of is that some people are going to make a mountain of money from this. I also strongly suspect it is yet another cat being thrown onto the table.

5. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Yes, I was wondering this and a little worried !!

No work, no pay.

6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

My agency have sent an email outlining the latest advice from the DfE - it really doesn't look good at the moment.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. PatThomson

PatThomson New commenter

I have been thinking of a contingency plan.
    Since working parents will need someone to mind their stay at home children while they go to work there could be work for short term nannies. Nannies with teaching experience could be in demand as they could also tutor the children. And SEND experience could be a bonus. I’m going to do some research into nanny agencies over the weekend.
    Also there’s dog sitting but the money isn’t so good.
    I used to do care work with older people in their own home before I trained as a teacher. I think I will look into that too.
    Anyone else got ideas?????

princessjulia likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If schools are closed as a containment strategy of medical prudence, why would right-thinking parents then choose staff emanating from precisely those institutions which are closed to care for their children in their own homes?!

catbefriender, bella2891 and pepper5 like this.
  9. tonymars

Good thinking Pat.
    I am a 50+ man. Any idea how I might locate/approach nanny agencies?

steviepal and MathMan1 like this.
  10. Patontheback

Patontheback New commenter

I checked on Mumsnet and they suggested Childcare.co.uk. I am going to check out other nanny agencies listed online to see what they are like. Some are a bit posh and exclusive. Some need SEND experience. The best find is Bubble. The Uber App for emergency childcare which might suit us. It’s been written about in the Telegraph and the Guardian. I will post any other useful info I find.

11. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Just to add to the mix, I was speaking to a recruitment agency today (not teaching) and they commented that a large local employer may be shutting down for the whole of March, because the vast majority of their materials come from China ... with the agencies temp staff therefore being not wanted, nor paid, for that period.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. Patontheback

Patontheback New commenter

That’s interesting

13. ibrahim10

ibrahim10 New commenter

Interesting thread.. I am looking into other jobs at the moment, seeing what's out there and getting myself ready to click 'apply'. But it is looking dim indeed..

pepper5 likes this.
  14. tonymars

Saw the Grand Spaffer's speech yesterday. Hearing now about "distancing", closing schools, cancelling football matches etc. But what about the tube, at rush hour in London? Surely this is the most risky of all? And where can I buy a mask?

one million "gig" economy / zero hours workers ?? Surely there are more than this? We supplies are all zero hours and so, I imagine, are most builders. Hasn't this been the direction of travel over the last years? Doesn't the government want all of us on zero hours?

So what about SSP, if we catch the virus? My first thoughts were we'd have no chance, but then I thought, hold on, I am employed by agencies, if I catch the virus I am likely to be sick for more than four consecutive days (just been changed to one day I believe, and I have averaged over £118 a week...

Does anyone know please? Would we be entitled or not? Why? If yes, how much would we receive and for how long? Or where I can find information? And what about the risks of us going into schools?

I also remain very uncertain as to what benefits we can claim, as zero hours workers, for the part of the year work is available, and also not available. I have tried to find a forum here discussing this, but so far have had no success.

rachel555 likes this.
  15. NoseyMo

NoseyMo New commenter

I'm concerned too, especially as my current main gig is direct to a school, so I have no agency to push on my behalf.

16. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

Given the choice ....

17. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

I can't see how anyone on a zero-hours contract along the lines of supply teachers will have any rights as clearly we are only paid contact hours only. Agencies will not be able to charge schools for cover when there is no cover required, and one wonders whether they will stay in business as this is the busiest time of year. Any contract for longer-term supply will be "frustrated" by the virus and will no longer be enforceable. A time to think outside the box, I'm afraid.

18. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

The CAB said yesterday that the government should put something in place to help people on zero hour contracts, there was a mention of new policies, so fingers crossed

19. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

I told a child off today for eating pencils. I warned him of the dangers of Crayola virus!

20. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Should and will put something into place.. I doubt the Government will put anything into place as they now make people wait 5 weeks for universal credit and that system is at breaking point anyway.

People will need to be prepared to help each other.

Those with spare money can give to food banks or charities that will help people. I woudnt hold your breath for the Government.