1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - what about recruitment?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by xtra, Mar 18, 2020.

1. xtra

xtra New commenter

I was due to have an interview next Friday, I haven't heard anything from the school yet.

My current school also have quite a few positions to fill.

Any thoughts/ideas?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Phone the school, ask them.

3. MrWarwick2007

MrWarwick2007 New commenter

Anyone's schools still going ahead with recruitment?

4. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

Mine paused shortlisting and will come back to it at the end of Easter.

5. Tinkerbell999

Tinkerbell999 New commenter

Not sure tbh. I’ve got a new job within a school and I’ve not been told if they are going to hire me now or summer or autumn. Not good really.
    So I can’t help your there but that’s been my experience so far

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No need for people to be panicking about getting a job for September.

The Heads are probably worrying about it more than you are!

They will need staff to teach, they will need to replace those who retire, or leave for any other reason.

So, they will be recruiting.

What will most probably change, as other posters have said, is HOW they recruit. It is unlikely that they will be able to hold face-to-face interviews with teaching observations. Just a slim chance, but unlikely. That throws a spanner in the works for Safer Recruiting which likes face-to-face interviews!

It also means that you, the candidate, won't get a chance to visit the school, meet the staff, see the pupils, get a feel of the place.

But there are large numbers of British teachers teaching at schools abroad who were appointed in exactly these conditions, and have found it fine. Interviews by Skype are slightly different, you need to think hard about that, there's a chapter in the Interview for a Teaching job about that.

Meanwhile you should all start preparing seriously for applying, if you are a NQT, then working on a fairly generic E.S., deciding what are your USPs to highlight in the application letter, and generally getting fully geared up.

There will be jobs, there will be schools who want teachers like you!

Best wishes

agathamorse and Faidha like this.
  7. S_Lenihan

S_Lenihan New commenter

Hi @TheoGriff

Just a quick question, as I am struggling to message you privately and I have no need to start a forum.

I am in the middle of a job application form and have just filled in my recent professional development. The next section is professional achievements, a maximum of 250 words. Do I specifically relate this to my professional development? My personal statement covers many of my achievements and I am conscious of repeating myself. Or do I repeat them in bullet point form?

Thank you.

8. Kubrick2001

Kubrick2001 New commenter

Have to say, I'm morally torn about applying for jobs (promotions) as I don't want to leave my current place in a tricky situation.

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Flag up the things in your personal statement.
    It might be PD, writing schemes of work, participating (or chairing) an action group, delivering assemblies, organising sports day.
    Good luck

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

For sure!

As it stands at the moment, for September we have:
    a brand new completely inexperienced head
    no deputy

Going to be fun!

11. NorthWest

NorthWest New commenter

This is interesting to read. I am looking for for a Sept 2020 and the recruitment drive has literally dried up in my area. When do most expect schools to pick up recruitment again for September. I am tempted to register for supply now just in case...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Achievements are rarely, in my experience, linked to professional development. This may seem a cynical view of professional development, and it may well be.

I would think most people would find it tricky to pinpoint any PD that contributed to achievements!

Yes, bullet points.

Best wishes

P.S. I assume you have searched on Amazon for books to download about Applying for a teaching job?

NorthWest likes this.
  13. fkh2904

fkh2904 New commenter

This has helped me greatly, thank you! I had a virtual interview yesterday for a HoD role which was intense and a highly unusual situation for all involved. I didn’t get the job, having felt like I really couldn’t do any better. I really need to get out of my place before my well-being takes a nose-dive and was worried that, in the current situation, new positions may not appear. But, having read this thread and particularly @TheoGriff’s post, I feel a little more positive that opportunities will arise. Thank you!

NorthWest likes this.
  14. sugaflowa

sugaflowa New commenter

Anyone got any advice for a virtual interview for a private school? eek

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have replied elsewhere to your query, @sugaflowa.

Don't panic!

Best wishes, keep safe