1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus, WFH and Easter holidays

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by Teapot345, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

Hi

Has anyone had any clear guidance from their schools whether they are expected to work during the holidays in these unprecedented times? Will you be recompensed for it (given that it would otherwise be holiday and unlike other professions, school staff don't bank their holiday for use when they choose)?

I have been given directed tasks to do that I am expected to complete and turn in this week and next, and no word about whether I will be paid in lieu of holiday or recompensed in any way so I just wondered, has anyone else? No villifying please, I just want to know where we all stand. We all need a break for our own mental health and well-being after all!

Thanks

2. Girlfromthenorthcountry

Girlfromthenorthcountry New commenter

We've been told to have a break! No remote learning is to be set over these two weeks and I've not been directed to do any work.

My school (secondary) is open for key worker's children who are being supervised by a very small number of SLT/voluntary staff on a Rota. Those that are in over Easter have had their two weeks holiday either before or after these two weeks - if that makes sense.

A pretty sensible and emotionally intelligent approach...

agathamorse, Sally006 and Lidnod like this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

We've been told to take our holiday as usual and advised not to do any work during it.

4. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

Are you both secondary? Perhaps that creates a difference. I'm primary.

Oh who knows. I think I'll call union next stop!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

It does matter whether these people work in primary or secondary. You do not need to work in the holidays. If you work then you are paid extra pay. THE MANAGEMENT ARE TRYING IT ON. If you believe them that's your fault. Have you not bothered to check the national union web site on this matter. Suggest if you do not believe people on here then you ring up the Union Regional Centre. . If you want to work for no pay I suggest you volunteer to help out in the community during the Easter holidays

Sally006 likes this.
  6. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

Yes thank you, I have bothered to check the union websites. I couldn't find a clearcut answer. So I thought I'd make general enquiries how staff in other schools are experiencing it, since every school is (and has) responded very differently in their approach to school closures. I don't think that is unreasonable. Your tone comes across as harsh and almost as though you have no desire to be helpful, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you have a a Happy Easter.

jennyamini likes this.
  7. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

We are open over Easter but staffed by SLT only. This includes the bank holidays but the head told the LA where to go when they asked about the weekends.
    Welfare of staff top priority, to the extent that people are taking the **** and getting away with it because no one will accuse anyone of slacking. When discussing whether schools would reopen soon because evidence said that it only makes a 2-4% difference in the death rate head said ‘thats 4-8 of my staff and that’s not ok’.

8. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Same as above but these aren't normal times. People without a degree and teaching qualification are keeping the country going and saving lives.

9. Maxmax77

Maxmax77 New commenter

Can I ask about the upcoming bank holiday?? I’m expected to go into work on that day and we are also still required to set home learning tasks. Thoughts??