1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by geographyrox, Feb 6, 2020.

1. geographyrox

geographyrox New commenter

I have been approached by a couple of tutoring companies on linkedin this past week offering considerable sums to tutor pupils in china affected by the closure of their schools. Is anyone currently doing this? It is a lot of money, but I have never done online tutoring before, and am a bit unsure about how it works, any advice?
    Thanks so much

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

if they are offering considerable sums then they are charging even higher sums.
    For a situation which is enforced, out of their hands, and involving tragic deaths of people who had unkowingly contracted the virus before it was a "thing". And to provide this service at a high fee, they are willing to take on staff with no experience of online teaching.
    Do you want to work for a company which operates on that basis?

fwiw If I had opportunity to do this work I would do it for free.

3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

It's a market, if you can offer a service and they are willing to pay I say go for it. If you are a good experienced tutor and these kids dont want to miss out on education I don't see the problem.
    My cousins are in the building trade and last year there were wide spread floods where they live. They have made money from the insurance companies rebuilding after the flood. This is similar, an unfortunate situation but you are meeting a need in the market.

4. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

I'd be covering my webcam lens once you're finished.

5. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I've never tutored online but I would give it a go if I were you. These will be the children of very rich Chinese at English speaking International schools. The cost will be nothing to them. The advice of offering this free of charge is well meaning but silly. This won't be the children of the poor who work under near slave conditions it will be the children of multi millionaires. There is nothing immoral about you taking the offer of well paid tutoring.

scabbers8 likes this.
  6. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I work for a Chinese teaching company and normally do 3-4 hours a week (it's a very easy way to do some daytime hours) but many of my students are on lock down and schools are closed so this week and next I've been booked for 13 hours. The students are really lovely and have enjoyed seeing me everyday in what must be a scary situation. Most of my students attend Harrow Beijing or international schools. They are polite and hardworking and mostly seem to delight in learning.

Make sure the company are legit and that you'll be paid by a reliable means if you decide to do it. My company is UK run so I've always got a UK person to contact as and when problems arise.