1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CoronaVirus time off

Discussion in 'Education news' started by gigaswitch1, Mar 12, 2020.

1. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

I know that we have no idea about what is going on at present. But, If I am off for the next 3 weeks of school time, can the school ask me to repay that time in school holidays? I was wondering what other peoples contracts say and if they can do it. Many questions out there, I was just wondering

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Can you clarify your situation? Do you mean you have been diagnosed with coronavirus yourself? Or that you are not (not yet anyway) ill yourself but that because of contacts you've had with other people the official government advice is that you should self-isolate and not go to work?

3. gigaswitch1

None of what you say Rott. I am wondering, if they shut the school under special circumstances, can they ask the teaching staff to make the time up? E.g. the staff have been off an extra two weeks taking you over directed time, the school will ask you to make the time up in the May half term?

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I doubt anyone will know as yet-presumably Boris and co will say, but logistically, I don't see how they could (childcare/prebooked holidays/commitments etc). I am thinking about 'snow days' as the nearest 'precedent'-I am old enough to remember schools being shut for a while in the 90s (in area at least) and no staff/students had to do much more; some students/staff arranged unofficial catch-ups, but that was all. Until we know know more about whether/for how long schools will be shut, it's impossible to say-the latest news says there's a 'backlash' from parents but that Boris isn't closing them now.

5. install

install Star commenter

Nope . You may have already booked your hols or have something else planned in the 'hols'. .

And even though you may be 'away from work', the school more likely may ask that you work from home in the weeks off eg planning / marking / emailing. It's just a different way of working - not a holiday by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  6. pdilmaghani

pdilmaghani New commenter

Its all academic......schools should be shut. The only reason they are not is because the conservative capitalist government are in charge. The union should enforce a nationwide shut down, i have grandparents who im having to isolate myself from, as well as other individuals who have poor respitary systems, all because the government values money over human life. The unions should have really put their foot down on this, i doubt there's many schools in the country that do not have someone passing that virus on.

No one can rely upon this government doing the right thing. Disgusting

7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@pdilmaghani I agree with you,I expected the teachers unions to have been in discussions with the DfE to ensure that teachers weren't expected to work during the lockdown and also to work during what would have been the half terms and holidays, and something fair, with consultations from teachers was put in place.

BetterNow and -Maximilian- like this.
  8. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Yes, I think all schools should be closed. Many adults more susceptible and with worse symptoms with than students work in schools and are at home who could become infected by children who might not even know they have it. Also families of both staff and students will be in the ‘vulnerable’ group. It will inconvenience families and damage the economy but the health of the many is more important.
    Government advice is currently ‘social distancing’, working from home and keeping at least 3 feet between individuals - not possible in a school setting. It seems the government do not care about the risk of school staff in the germ pool catching it and passing it on to their families. Parliament’s immediate reaction was to shut down so how can they justify not allowing school staff the same privilege?

nicnak93, Sally006 and catbefriender like this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Why on earth should teachers be privileged above everyone else whose workplace closes? Why shouldn't teachers work from home like others are being asked to do?

10. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

I mean at the moment we are not being offered the chance of working from home thus avoiding the germ pool. Mr Catgirl does not work in education and his company have today put in place working from home tech and checked it works. School staff are being forced to continue going in to school until the powers that be say otherwise. Incidentally, Mr Catgirl’s office building has only about 45 employees, as opposed to the 1200+ individuals at my school so a far higher chance of infection.

11. install

install Star commenter

Schools should continue to stay open for now. It is the right decision imho. We know it is older people who are more jeopardised - and particularly those with respiratory problems.

catherinedavid likes this.
  12. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Yes, but if they are then told that they also have to work through their holidays to make up the time, that would be unfair.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  13. WB

WB Senior commenter

Schools can make you work during the closure.

Schools can not take away holidays to make up for days closed. The contract says 195 days - no more no less. Some schools may try to get staff in for GCSE and A level classes.

Good science seems to suggest it is too early to close the schools. That time will come.

14. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

We are already making plans for the lockdown in terms of getting kids access to learning resources. However, this is unprecedented and few are experienced in long term closures. Do we work from home providing resources and maintaining contact with pupils during normal working days and hours and not over the normal Easter hols or May half term? The issue of staff being parents who also need to educate their own children from home needs consideration. We are parents too. If we are asking parents to support their children’s learning from home then we, who are parents, will need to do just that for our own children. Many of us have primary and nursery aged children. We cannot be working as teachers all day in those circumstances.

BetterNow, Catgirl1964 and edenhendry like this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Yes, if you are on STPCD it says "A teacher ... must be available to perform such duties at such times and such places as may be specified by the headteacher ...". The 'such places' would presumably include working from home. If not on STPCD something similar is usually included in other employment contracts.

16. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

There are many teachers in their 60s, many teachers with respiratory and underlying health conditions and many teachers/pupils with family who are at risk.

if we self isolate now that could stop the virus spreading to the vulnerable. Why is it too early? We know what this virus can do if given the chance.

I am scared for the health of my family. Boris claimed many people will die before their time. Sounds like he knows what will happen but is putting money and business above the lives of the people. What is a life worth these days?

nicnak93, BetterNow, erufiku and 2 others like this.
  17. handee2

handee2 New commenter

My niece who teaches Reception class has been told a parent of her class is in hospital awaiting the result of a coronavirus test. She had a couple of pupils who flew home from Italy a day before the ban took place and she has a temperature. Looks like she will be self-isolating this week. It is a huge burden that DFE is placing on schools and young teachers as they are not medical experts and, in their desire to do the right thing by everyone, they are placing themselves and those they come into contact at risk. The government needs to act responsibly now for the good of all.

catherinedavid and Sally006 like this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

You miss the point imho. If schools close the chances are that children will end up being looked after by their grandparents and thus more deaths for the older generation.

I think schools may well close eventually but nearer to the peak of the virus. Let's face it- many of us may already have the virus.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    catherinedavid likes this.
  19. gigaswitch1

erufiku likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter