1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus days implications

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Coronavirusissues, Mar 3, 2020.

1. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

In an interview with the Kuwait times the ministry of education stated that schools cannot cancel spring break at this stage.

watch this space......

Bentley89 likes this.
  2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The Coronavirus does not appear to have arrived in Bulgaria yet, but there are cases in Greece and now in Serbia as well. Therefore it is probably just a matter of time before it arrives here in Sofia.

At the moment, all schools in Bulgaria are closed because of the order issued by the Ministry of Health yesterday, as we now have another "flu vacation", as we did earlier in the year. Therefore the staff at my school are busily preparing online teaching resources. Oh the joys of Zoom and Google Classroom!

3. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

"In an interview with the Kuwait times the ministry of education stated that schools cannot cancel spring break at this stage."

ROFLOL.

I remember a few times while I was there when ministers announced while keeping a straight face that all 'wasta' (corruption) had been stamped out in Kuwait. I think most if not all of them live in a parallel universe.

abikuwait, Bentley89 and ajrowing like this.
  4. nikki2482

nikki2482 New commenter

Then they're getting it both- you working whilst in quarantine and you working during holidays?!

5. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Yes but I think realistically they already knew we were going to close down for longer (which has since happened) and that even if we did start again the first week of April then Ramadan was only a couple of weeks away so losing the holiday in those circumstances was not onerous.

If the closure had been only two weeks, and we had lost the holiday I would not have been happy. Now it’s gone beyond that.

6. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Anyone thinking this will last a month or two is deluded. This pandemic will be killing for 18 months and then settle down into a seasonal lime flu killer. Easily a 100 million will die, I hope not but the numbers we have suggest we have a 1918 level flu that had a mortality rate estimated at 4 to 6% in its two waves equal to 450 million dead if same as 1918 level of mortality. This takes into account higher death rates in poorer countries. A vaccine, if possible and the original sars-cov research suggests it may not be easy, is at least 2 years away.

So what happens? Schools close until next August except for exam classes? Talk already of students sitting November exams instead of May and June.

Many staff are being told that they will lose some holidays replacement days. That will grow I suspect especially as it becomes the norm. Why quit and leave if every school is doing it?

Many schools will lose students as a depression starts, some parents can't pay, fees cut and salaries cut and staff sacked to balance budgets especially in weaker schools.

Many schools will go under alongside many airlines and tourist companies. Times will be hard for the next two years. I hope for better but planning for this scenario as highly probable eg i sold a lot of my stocks just at the peak and sitting on cash and 6 months of food and toilet roll!

On the upside good for the environment and shows how daft globalisation got especially when antibiotics, diabetic medicines and even paracetamol run low. As China is not making these or precursor chemicals.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  7. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The two big areas of impact will be 1, International Schools in China(with Foriegn clientele) 2, Middle East countries if oil fails below 25USD.

8. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

Still around Mr Nemo, sir?
    Hello from an old colleague.

9. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

We were told today that the fees for the current academic year have been paid so we don't have to be worried and will be paid through this academic year. I asked, what about the new staff coming in??? Maybe they didn't hear me but there was no answer.

10. normannobody2018

Why do so many teachers think schools exist for their benefit?
    If it is affordable to honour contracts, contracts will be honoured. Even in worse case scenario and 2% of the planet dies over the next 12 months, there will still be need for schools. Schools that exist primarily for the benefit of students.

11. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Amm... Otherwise its nothing but a big building with lockable doors manned by their owners enticing parents to drop off thier young for no reason :oops:

Can't have one without the other. Qualified or "qualified" ones.

12. normannobody2018

Comprehension not a core skill for you, then.

13. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Says the person who thinks one can exist and benefit without the other.

Bless you really (really) hard for thinking that. You're a teacher, the "role model" who stands infront of children and adolescents??

Whether it's for profit or none. Outstanding, good, bad or terrible, a school is built to house teachers and students.

But it's obviously VERY hard for you to "comprehend" that. So I'll let you be.

Bentley89 likes this.
  14. normannobody2018

Schools exist for students. Teachers are merely tools. Schools do not exist for the benefit of teachers, although teachers may benefit from the existence of schools.