1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus days implications

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Coronavirusissues, Mar 3, 2020.

1. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

february31st is talking about one type of school. My (wonderful) Chinese students won’t be going anywhere.

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I also got offered an interview last week from school in Hong Kong.
    I guess the recruitment still has to go ahead.

3. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

I read on a different site that in HK certain schools are telling teachers they are forbidden from leaving HK for the Easter holidays or another school warned if they do actually go away during these holidays that they'll have to do self quarantine for 14 days upon return with no pay.

Another site (the poster never revealed country) said they were supposed to have holidays in late March but the school have brought them forward, so of course people will lose out (flights, hotels if non-refundable).

4. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

I think that's the UAE. I've just read the news, and basically they brought the spring holiday forward starting on the 8th, then after two weeks they have to do online learning for two weeks.

5. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

Certainly going to China would be a bad idea but a blanket ban on leaving Hong Kong is well beyond the powers an employer can exercise here. HK has strict employment law and while some may try and bluff staff, they do not have a legal leg to stand on.

https://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/faq/content.htm

Bentley89 likes this.
  6. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

Another issue for some is that they've cancelled school and schools have continued to provide online learning off their own backs. However, the governments/ministries are seeing this as a 'holiday' as no teachers are actively in school despite having done the work, and are now telling their teachers that that was their holiday and they are now to work in the upcoming half-term. It is just simply ill-informed and wrong.

missmaths123 likes this.
  7. gone east

gone east New commenter

GOvernments are, by and large, making the rules to suit local schools (as is right and proper) many of which can't move to online platforms. The international schools will have a licence of some sort from the Gov so the rules apply to them.
    Here in Thailand the position is slightly muddied by international schools being under a slightly different organisation so it further depends on the precise wording of any edicts as to what applies to whom. So our preventative/mitigating measures might be enough to stop us having to make up time.... or not!

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Schools can’t tell you not to travel, but if you choose to travel, knowing you will then have to self quarantine, yes, the school is correct that this should be unpaid. In other circumstances, where someone gets caught up without prior knowledge and then has to quarantine, I see scope for a more lenient view. But not if you knew ahead of time what it would mean.

T0nyGT and Bentley89 like this.
  9. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Interesting. Can you hint at which one(s)?

10. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Here in Thailand, we were not forbidden but heavily advised to consider the implications (possible quarantine) of where we go for our break, including the summer break.

11. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

I don't see how your employer can exercise that level of control. If you wilfully go against local government advice (e.g. Korea is listed as no go here in HK), then yes you would have a case to answer but if your employer is making up their own rules then no, they cannot do that. Your employer cannot restrict your travel. There are people (management and teachers) here ignoring all the health and social distancing advice, they present a hazard when we return to our workplaces. No one is quarantining them.

12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I'm just talking about official government rules. If you go against those and have to be quarantined, or self-quarantined, that's on you.
    But no, there's not really a way to make everyone take all the health recommendations seriously.

13. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Just an update from our little corner of tired Middle East.

At the moment we don’t have to work Saturdays, but we are still expected to set work during the school closure and we have to offer after school revision sessions but it’s not clear if that’s primary or secondary.

As a teacher I’m angry, as a parent I’m upset as you can’t flog children like they’re planning. If we go back on 15th then my three year old will have to do three months of school with no break and that’s not fair....

however, it’s difficult because I accept this is not the managements decision and they’re probably getting it in the neck from disgruntled staff and they’re having to do the extra hours too.....

It’s A bit crazy really :(

14. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I meant the not tired in the first sentence.

15. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Sorry I just read it on a forum and the school wasn't mentioned.

16. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Some HK universities have already extended their closures until mid-May.

17. thetaofdreams

thetaofdreams New commenter

At present China is not a good place to work. After been here for seven years the atmosphere in China has changed not only due to the virus. Once a welcoming country has become much colder due to the economic slow down. Which is much worse now due to the virus.

If you are returning the government in China are making you to do self isolation in your apartment. That means you are not allowed to leave your apartment and food is brought to you. This is understandable, due to them wanting to stop the spread of the virus. However, for those in isolation very difficult.

18. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Not every part of China is making people do self isolation. I think it depends which city you're in and where you have come from.

Where I live, it is very easy to order food/groceries now. Then even if you are from a risky area and do have to isolate, it's much more tolerable than it would have been a few weeks ago.

19. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

This simply is not true! China is a pretty big place and for you to say that the atmosphere has changed is inaccurate! Each province has its own rules. People are still going out, there are lots of fresh food in supermarkets and transportation in each city is working as normal. Yes, there are temperature checks in place and people are wearing masks but your post is not an accurate reflection of what is happening in most of the country.

20. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The quarantine requirements seem to be a bit random. If you haven't been to on of the high risk countries like Iran, Italy or South Korea there is no compulsory quarantine. If you have been in the UK there should be no need for any self isolation. Even if your compound manager does enforce this you can phone the British Embassy for assistance and they do get the quarantine lifted. A silly QR code system is been introduced that gives you a green, yellow or red pass key to get into some buildings or shops. Haven't been able to get mine as all the instructions are in Chinese!

Some good news appears to be schools have stopped trying to force teachers back to Shanghai incase schools reopen. Whips and wild horses can't be used to drive expats back to Shanghai at the moment.

The atmosphere in China has changed over the last couple of years with China trying to upgrade the caliber of expat allowed into the country and reduce the countries reliance on foreign management. There are less tax and financial benefits for foreigners now and in less than two years time we will pay the same tax as Chinese citizens. China wants to replace foreign workers with Chinese citizens to reduce the cultural pollution having all these laowai in the country especially teachers of local students.

When all the sneezing has stopped the Chinese government may use the event to be more vigorous in visa applications for foreigners entering the country.