1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus days implications

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Coronavirusissues, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Coronavirusissues

Coronavirusissues New commenter

2. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

This is something that has come along and is no-one's fault - teachers nor parents nor students nor admins. So maybe some degree of compromise all-round is needed? Having said that, if teachers are working delivering and prepping online lessons, with all the extra time spent on this and possibly from other continents in different timezones, then aren't they working already? This would mean they are working then being asked to work even more, if that makes sense? I do hope the IB and other exam boards IGCSE, A-Level etc. put measures in place so that students have a fair chance given the situation.

T0nyGT likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

All is perfectly in line with what is going on here in Shanghai and other cities in China.

The question is whether teachers just talk or walk? But where are the other jobs that teachers simply can walk straight into, they don't exist.

So unfortunately teachers will just have to tie themselves to the mast of the ship and ride out the storm. Else take to the lifeboats and prey to what ever god they believe in to deliver them safely to a new calm harbor.

Another proble will be how many teachers will be required in international schools when the new academic year starts. According to the Shanghai government there where 45000 foreign students in the city, this had reduced to 500 and I don't think many will be returning. The number of foreign teachers was 2000 and this had been reduced to 700.

4. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Some years ago in 2011, Bangkok was inundated caused by bad water management in Northern Thailand. Many schools were closed for up to a month and lots of teachers with small children were sent to their home countries because of the worries regarding water borne diseases. All schools dealt with it differently, one of the larger ones in the North of the city used another more central schools rooms in the evening in a kind of hot bedding protocol. ( This did not work out well for the Head of Secondary in said large Northern school who was sacked at the end of the year and is currently working as a glorified surveyor and general dogsbody for a school group in China! )

My own school added lessons onto the beginning and end of the day. Eventually all was caught up and the kids passed their exams and went on their merry way. No-one, that I can recall, lost money.

From what I can see in this article the money which stands to be lost is through holidays that have already been booked. I guess that there is a bit of caveat emptor in there, I mean, there may well be people in the Uk who stand to have holidays all over the Far East cancelled if the CoVid19 travel limitations stay in place. Money, after all, isn't everything...this could last for months, much, much longer than 2011. Then it will become a case of whether or not the schools, especially the smaller ones have the financial resources to survive. I can certainly see one or two in HK going down the pan because of this.

5. Coronavirusissues

"From what I can see in this article the money which stands to be lost is through holidays that have already been booked. I guess that there is a bit of caveat emptor in there, I mean, there may well be people in the Uk who stand to have holidays all over the Far East cancelled if the CoVid19 travel limitations stay in place. Money, after all, isn't everything..."

I agree with this, money isn't everything and if the losses were due to the travel restrictions/quarantined then I think staff would be very accepting. However, these losses are because the schools are choosing to change the school calendar -while adding extra days. Which I seriously doubt would be something that happens to teachers in the UK.
    Some teachers have found their holiday significantly brought forward (while also losing days) with less than a week's warning.

6. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

It's a triple kick in the teeth- working now in difficult circumstances, working later and being hit in the pocket for lost travel expenses (and likely increased costs for booking new flights later too). It is harsh on the teaching staff.

Unfortunately, you lose a lot of job security when you leave the protection of unions and are operating in a different legal (and language) environment.

Coronavirusissues likes this.
  7. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

8. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Are you aware of any HK schools who are changing holiday dates around or extending term time?

9. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

All those Chinese schools run by business people cannot afford to alienate their staff. If a few schools have a rash of resignations and it all gets onto *** then there will be a tsunami of resignations and schools without teachers will not be able to open.

I agree with some posters that this whole thing might drag on for much longer than this school term. I see it dragging on into the summer. The uk government are securing emergency powers. The uk and Scottish governments are managing expectations by saying now that we are at the start of the outbreak and to expect many more cases to be reported and to expect disruption to daily life.

The outbreak in China may slow down but the rest of the world may go into lockdown over the next few months, thus preventing students and teachers to get to China.

I have not seen anything official from the IB, Cambridge or any of the exam boards about how exams and coursework deadlines will be affected. I have IB students who have internal assessments due to be handed in in the next 2 weeks. If we get word that schools are closing, it will be impossible for those students to submit their assessments. Will they just fail the diploma?

10. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

But isn't the whole point of being on this forum that we aren't in the UK? At some stage we all made the decision that we would move overseas, this offers many of us sun kissed beaches or snow drenched pistes, coups, wars, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions but not, in a lot of cases, unions. No point in whinging about that now is there? Surely if that is what one wanted one would have stayed at home?

abikuwait likes this.
  11. Coronavirusissues

Surely one of the points of this forum is to help keep teachers informed so that they can make the best choices with the information they have. Given that the issues in Vietnam haven't been raised in much press perhaps teachers currently looking for jobs would appreciate some "on the ground" information. If someone sees sharing information with others to be whinging then so be it.

cmn374 likes this.
  12. february31st

february31st Established commenter

This is how we built the British Empire by ignoring Yellow Fever, Cholera, Malaria, Typhoid and spears been thrown.

We didn't simply run away when someone got the "sniffles". If the Yihequan wanted today to drive all westerners out of China it appears all the had to do was sneeze.

Keep Calm and Carry Online Lessons.

T0nyGT and skvo like this.
  13. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

I haven't heard anything so far- grumbles from some parents but there seems to be a general acceptance that we are all doing our best- families and teachers. Everybody is put out, cabin fever is setting in and I think week five has been the hardest. Schools that got out of the gate fast and provided online learning from day one have less need to make up days. How can we possibly make up 11 weeks (or more!, who knows) what'll happen? If the parents wanted face-to-face, we should have had the last five weeks off- and that would have been a huge break in the education. At least this way we have kept a level of engagement.

14. Coronavirusissues

Beagles111 my reference to the UK was simply because you were saying UK teachers are losing out because of the virus I was trying to highlight that the reasons for the losses were very different.

Everyone knows there are risks involved with going abroad but for the sake of a few days is it actually worth affecting your staff that much when they have been doing everything they can in a bad situation. Especially as noone is convinced the students will even be allowed to come back to schools before the holidays dates. So the upset may be for nothing.

15. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

I’m a bit confused by some posters on here. In one breath they are telling us how difficult it is/will be to recruit to China, in another saying teachers have no job options if they choose to take decisive action and threaten to quit over unfair treatment? I don’t believe finding a job will be difficult in Asia after this.

But I also don’t think it will come to that. I know that if our school in Beijing tries to tell teachers they will be doing (unpaid) additional days after the absolute nightmare online teaching has been (in terms of stress and workload) there will be a mass revolt, and there’s no way they can expect to recruit another 80 or so international staff members for next year.

16. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

You know, I thought long and hard about including the word whinging, fearing just what has happened, the thread almost being waylaid by someones damaged pride. Please re read my post. I wasn't accusing you of whinging, you are merely the messenger. I was alluding to people in Vietnam whinging when the goalposts are moved, which they are done very often in International education, and not just in Vietnam. As pointed out there are coups, wars and floods, volcanic eruptions and a plethora of other things which can affect life "overseas". To my mind it has still been better for me over the last 23 years than it would have been living in the UK. We take a big risk when we leave the our homes but part of that risk is the excitement of the unknown. Corona Virus is just this years unknown.

17. Coronavirusissues

Thanks for this. I suppose its upsetting to be put in this position (justifiably) but when put in perspective it's unlikely to change my mind about working overseas and long term goals. There's worse out there and there is better. This will hopefully just be a short term blip. It's raw just now as it is currently happening but I just hoped I could do for others what so many others have done for me and share their honest stories.

abikuwait likes this.
  18. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Agree wholeheartedly Beagles111

19. Coronavirusissues

I expected similar and was very surprised.

20. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

The Kuwaiti Ministry have ordered all schools to close and all lessons for the next two weeks to be delivered online with no student contact or staff meetings. Due to a spike in the number of cases, the powers that be are discussing a further extension of this. However, unlike in China, our parents seem to want to keep their kids well clear and are actively praising the online learning via social media.

The downside however is that that there are rumours of half terms being cancelled to make up for it. This would face serious opposition though, as it's not exactly a holiday that we're on now - we're still planning, teaching (to a certain extent), answering questions, giving guidance, marking work and giving feedback. This is still 'working' for teachers, so why punish them by taking the true holiday time away? It doesn't make sense. There may well be teachers with pre-booked holidays who simply won't turn up for work... We will have to wait and see, but hopefully common sense will prevail.

rhenium1963 likes this.