1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus and planning trip

Discussion in 'School trips' started by LINGUIST2, Feb 28, 2020.

1. LINGUIST2

LINGUIST2 New commenter

Hi
    I was just about to advertise a trip to Paris in October 2021 which my HT had agreed and was positive about. However today he said that we would have trouble getting deposits as parents would be worried about how Coronavirus pans out even although the trip would be a year and a half away. I agree with him to a certain extent but can't help feeling a bit deflated . I have been in the school 2 years although teaching for over 20 - there are hardly any trips especially abroad , the school is in quite a deprived area and I thought this trip would help to improve attitudes towards language learning.
    Any thoughts? Perhaps if things improve I could take this up again later in the year.
    Thanks for listening!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

When would you need the deposits by? Are you advertising this early because you need the deposits, or because you want to give parents plenty of chance to spread the cost?

If the latter, you could always advertise it, with expected cost, but not ask for deposits until later. Perhaps ask people to indicate if they're interested (pandemic permitting), maybe with a token £10 deposit, so you know whether it's likely to be viable.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. kegan1811

kegan1811 New commenter

We are due to travel to France next week as you can imagine some worried parents!

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Getting travel insurance would protect those deposits, surely? And your mailshot to parents would explain this?

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not sure if school travel insurance covers payments. IIRC it normally covers expenses incurred when away. I would be minded just to put the trip on hold for the moment until things become clearer/blow over.

6. kegan1811

kegan1811 New commenter

We have asked for our trip to be postponed until things become clearer but have been told this is not an option.