1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus and Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DalekTeacher, Mar 9, 2020.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I am sorry if this is a stupid question so hope you don't mind asking about it. I wondered if the schools are told to close, does this mean salary will not be paid? Does anyone know how it might work?

Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It’s treated like snow days. So everyone gets paid except supply.

DaisysLot likes this.
  3. DalekTeacher

Thank you so much. I was worrying - so sorry for stupid question.

DaisysLot likes this.
  4. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Please also make sure you are in a Union. These conditions of Service did not come all by themselves.

5. DalekTeacher

An another colleague mentioned that if the school closure reaches September then we will not receive pay as schools won't have money to do it, and wondered if this is likely to be true?

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Please don't believe these rumours. It would be all over the press if it were true.

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Why won't they have the money? State funded schools will still get the money from the government.

8. DalekTeacher

Thank you so much for reassuring me. There is so much scare stories going on - on top of what is already a worrying time. Thank you.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Private schools could be in difficulty by September but any state school, LA or academy, will continue to receive their funding from the government in the usual way. So they will not run out of money and teachers on permanent contracts will not go unpaid!

Spare a thought for Supply Teacher colleagues though. Their position by September is far less clear.

Don't listen to internet rumours, they are bad for your health :)

10. DalekTeacher

Thank you so much. I definitely feel very much for those that are not on permanent contracts. It is a worrying time all round. Just wish this would pass quickly.

Thank you for reassuring me and I will definitely ignore the rumours.

Piranha likes this.