1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus and duty of care

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jennarush5, Apr 6, 2020.

1. jennarush5

jennarush5 New commenter

Hi.

I'm on a long term supply contract. Should I be entitled to the same duty of care as permanent staff?

Permanent staff employed by the school have been placed on a rota. They work one day in two weeks to minimise risk of exposure to the virus (and are still paid for the days not physically in school)A a supply I have been going in three days a week, every week in order to continue to be paid.

I'm becoming increasingly worried about being potentially more exposed to the virus. I want to be able to request my agency to furlough me, but do I need the school to tell the agency they no longer require me in order for me to be entitled to be furloughed?

When I asked my agency a week ago whether they intend to furlough staff, I was told by my consultant (who was working from home!) That they didn't have an answer yet and I should be grateful I'm still working ...

My union have been pretty vague and I'm still v confused.

gold19951 likes this.
  2. gorge441

gorge441 New commenter

Of course, you should for this pandemic.

gold19951 and pepper5 like this.
  3. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

The answer is a simply Yes and that would also apply to somebody working day to day, in that you are seen as a temporary member of staff.

gold19951, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. sojal

sojal New commenter

i have worked for last 14 weeks everyday (not easter fri & mon or VE day) Not paid for theses 3 days Other perm staff do 1 day every 2 weeks on rota & paid every day! No goodwill for supplies

5. jennarush5

jennarush5 New commenter

You should challenge them about it. I did and was put on the rota and paid for the days not worked. You are entitled to it.

gold19951, pepper5 and ms honey like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

7. sojal

sojal New commenter

I have asked but told no pay for those 3 days .All the comment about physical & mental health concerns & the clapping for front line workers is simply lip service .Action speak louder than words/clapping They have shown loyalty does not pay in England

Happyregardless likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You need to find out what your legal position is. Schools and agencies will not give a hoot about things like loyalty or welfare.

Find out what you are legally entitled to.

9. sojal

sojal New commenter

You are right they dont give a hoot.This week the school had a meeting on Monday & Tuesday on health & safety for when the pupils return next week & the only person who comes in everyday (ME) is not invited so they dont have to pay me. Even in This pandemic of deaths does not change how we are treated. This must be the most disgusting country in Europe.

gingerhobo48 and gold19951 like this.
  10. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

As I have said on another thread, the fact that you were not included in the training is negligent of the school. Unbelievable.
    Make sure that you look after yourself and don't allow them to put you in situations that you feel are unsafe. You need to protect your own health, and by doing so you will be protecting others.
    If you are in a union it might be worth contacting them for advice.
    Sadly, there are lots of jobs where there is only lip-service to health and safety. Just one example, 33 London bus drivers have died from coronavirus. Did that really have to happen?

11. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

Awful - just shocking. Will your agency furlough you? I really feel now is the time to ditch the school if you possibly could manage financially. Your health is the most important thing. X

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  12. sojal

sojal New commenter

I have asked the agency but they are dragging their feet also as they are more concerned with losing their commission if I am furloughed The union are not much better as they just tell me to speak to the agency! .Never mind the Bermuda triangle I am in the covid triangle & all 3 are a disgrace which seems the standard in the UK

gold19951 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  13. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

ennarush5 , Gold is correct to some extent, in that school treatment of you is disgraceful and to some extent sends a warning to all of the potential attitude to supply in the short-term.

Please look at my post 'NEU advice for supply', in that agencies and schools have a legal responsibility to ensure the workplace (i.e in our case - schools) is safe and an assessment as been completed to ensure your safety. If the school as not included you in the training, they may be in breach of the legal requirement.

gold19951, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.