1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus a golden opportunity

Discussion in 'Education news' started by moscowbore, Mar 24, 2020.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-golden-opportunity-help-teachers

Are teachers supposed to come up with these teaching resources between the online lessons which are being delivered?

Call me cynical, but, I suspect at the bottom of this is an expectation that online teaching is the way forward to reduce MAT costs, boost MAT CEO bonuses and get teachers into the gig economy.

2. letap

letap Occasional commenter

If Dan Moynihan wants to exploit a golden opportunity, he should sack himself, his wages would go along way to helping the schools in his trust.

Catgirl1964 and Morninglover like this.
  3. citct

citct New commenter

Schools could become optional learn centres: those that want to learn, are welcome, those disinterested; learn in your own time elsewhere...Technology allows remote learn and outsourcing of dubious classroom behaviours.
    As you allude, will teachers remain a professional profession?

BetterNow likes this.
  4. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Well, yesterday, I saw kids on their bikes during what would normally be while the school day was in session. Perhaps online learning might be a way of outsourcing those who use the school as a daycare facility and keeping it for those who want to learn. At the end of the day, if those that messed around didn't pass the exams, that's their problem. However, I suspect schools and the government would not allow online to happen (more than it already is) because of Ofsted and the data-driven environment that schools are.

5. moscowbore

I just see MATs offering online learning as the norm to maximise profits. If you want an actual teacher, you will need to pay fees.

Paying teachers on a zero hours contract basis is the holy grail for MATs. Think of the CEO bonuses.

6. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

We are the new working class! Going to get shafted every step of the way - Why go to Uni!

7. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

8. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

For him to even use the phrase at a time when people are dying is absolutely sickening.

PGCE_tutor, Jamvic and Lidnod like this.
  9. moscowbore

10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

This caught my eye from the OP link.

60 subject consultants!

Sir Dan, who oversees 48 primary and secondary academies in and around London...

"We delivered training to all of the senior teams of our 48 schools, and we've delivered training to our 60 subject consultants who work from the centre – they're full-time employees," he said.

PeterQuint likes this.
  11. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Well, maybe more education will take place and with less indoctrination.