1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Corona virus - Am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by singalot97, Jun 3, 2020.

1. singalot97

singalot97 New commenter

I am a secondary school teacher in a school in one of the harder hit areas of London, and after the risk assessment I took part in yesterday, I have a question and would like honest opinions.

Throughout the reopening of schools, there have been many accusations thrown at teachers that we are being lazy, and even some people close to me have said that we are being unreasonable because, during this pandemic, everyone needs to do more to contain it and keep everything going.

I am not in the vulnerable health group, and I live with other key workers who are also not in the vulnerable health group (although one of my flat mates works with Primary children and the other is a care worker for elder people). I have to take two forms of public transport to get to work and another two to get back. I do have anxiety which has been quite severe in the past and has been impacted by this world wide pandemic.

My question is this:

Am I being unreasonable in raising issues about going back to school or raising section 44 because I feel unsafe, or am I prioritising my own health and well being instead of doing my best to help the country?

I like honest answers, no nastiness please (first time poster)

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Whatever measures are in place in your school, children will have been mixing long before you start so I guess you must decide. I'm afraid the SD plans and classroom plans amount to nought since students will fraternise on the way to and from school. It's patently ridiculous.

3. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

It’s very tricky and a good question. In my school we have done everything humanly possible to make things as safe as we can, bearing in mind, of course, the Gov decisions which arguably are not safe. Has your school?
    Talk to someone in the SLT about your feelings, maybe you could travel in earlier/later etc? Our view is to try to accommodate people as much as possible, we have people working in all sorts of ways.
    If you are highly anxious to the point you are not coping, then you maybe need to talk to your GP.
    If you feel school is doing the best it can vent some of your feelings by emailing the union/ your mp; it’s our only chance of being heard. Sorry, no easy answer, I know. Good luck.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No
    Yes.

You must raise the issues with your GP, counsellor or a member of SLT that you trust. Are your issues related to your anxiety or to your understanding of the measures in place in your school? Do you have a colleague who could walk into the school with you on first day back to reassure you?

Simple_STEPS likes this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

No, you're being sensible. In some areas, rates of infection are higher than they were during the lockdown.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

My honest view.

I think your anxiety is understandable, but I don’t think it is reasonable to refuse to go back to work.

Now, if the anxiety is at such a level a doctor sees it reasonable to say you are unfit for work, then that’s a different issue.

ridleyrumpus and agathamorse like this.
  7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

The NEU risk assessment guidance does include travel to school as something that needs to be taken into account

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We asked all our staff how they were intending to get too/ from home as part of collating our school risk assessment. One of the more obvious benefits of being in a semi rural area with only one bus route at very inconvenient times and the nearest railway station 4 miles away and NOT on the bus route is that no one uses public transport at all!

9. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

I don't think the O/P is being unreasonable at all. They clearly feel unsafe, despite the rest of the world (except the NEU) doing it's best to return to a 'new normal'.

Nations everywhere are trying hard to accept that returning to work is not perfect, carries risks and might even be fatal, but is on balance better than everyone, especially children, staying locked away in homes for how long, years? Going crazy, economies going broke and everything we know and love halting. But the O/P has a different view. That's okay.

As long as the O/P accepts that they obviously cannot keep their job, salary and pension, must go immediately, so that someone else willing to take the risks can step in for the sake of the children, there's no problem at all.

10. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

No you're not.

And you can do both