1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Corona reading thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 28, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes there's a book forum but it hardly gets used... and this place has descended into political bickering...

So why not have a place where we mention the books we're reading/have read during our lockdown?

After all, one of the common thing bemoaned by teachers is a lack of time to read.

So far I've read:

The Last Wall by Gav Thorpe
    The Coddling of the American Mind by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt.
    -this was an excellent book explaining the origins of the often bemoaned 'snowflake' generation and how six factors came together in a perfect storm, driven by the ideology of Safetyism, to create what they refer to as a IGen [a distinct subgroup in the Millenial generation]. Worth a read.
    And now on my fourth reading of Dune by Frank Herbert because the movie comes out in December [virus willing]

So... what are you reading?

agathamorse and NoseyMatronType like this.
  2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I'm reading "The Dogs in the Street" by J M Dalgleish, It's a detective story set in York.And part of a series,

A murdered family-man. A young woman tortured and set on fire. A face from the pastDI Nathaniel Caslin is stable, for the first time in years. Now, he can look to the future, or so he thought. Granting a small favour to a friend, can often be anything but simple...When the only link between two apparently random murders appears to be an aging, Catholic priest, Caslin is thrust into a world of long-buried secrets. Drawing unwanted attention from the intelligence services, he must consider if the man he once trusted above all others, is now playing by his own rules. With professional killers circling, Caslin must face uncomfortable truths about those seeking redemption. Sometimes, justice is best served from the wrong side of the law.With the net tightening, the level of threat increases. Will Caslin, along with those closest to him, be the last victims of a forgotten conflict?

agathamorse and lanokia like this.
  3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

[​IMG]

This isn't a publication that would ordinarily attract my curiosity as I have no interest in ingesting this type of substance. However, I have been intrigued by reports on the most recent clinical trials suggesting that psychedelics can help with depression, addiction and the angst that accompanies terminal illnesses.

"Many of the people I'd interviewed had started out stone cold materialists and atheists, no more spiritually developed than I, and yet several had had 'mystical experiences' that left them with the unshakable conviction that there was something more to this world than we know - a 'beyond' of some kind that transcended the material universe I presume to constitute the whole shebang. I thought often about one of the cancer patients I interviewed, an avowed atheist who had nevertheless found herself 'bathed in God's love'. "

A fascinating read (so far).

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is it like a series of novels with the same character?

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sounds... interesting...

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

When I heard someone scolding the chap in front of him for being a few cm short of the distance line at Tesco, I knew I simply had to re-read '1984' by Orwell.

This book just never, ever goes out of date. I've read it at least ten times but number 11 is very, very scary.

ShowerGel, Kandahar, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"Out"
    By Natsuo Kirino
    It's a murder mystery but there's no mystery because you know who did it.
    It's in Japan. And it's translated from Japanese. And it's a pretty good social portrayal of the world of work, and the role of men and the role of women.
    The first page seems trite.
    By the tenth page you appreciate that deception
    Oh, and after the style of much Japanese noir fiction, dismemberment happens. Not gratuitously, but belonging to the story.
    This book is both depraved and brilliant. No woman who reads it would want to live in Japan, and no man who reads it would want to be married to the woman protagonist.

So that's one to cheer you up then.:p

agathamorse and dumpty like this.
  8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’m just starting The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober. o_O

agathamorse and bombaysapphire like this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

When I go away anywhere I like to take a book that is set in the place I am visiting, not sure I want to read anything about being under house arrest at the moment though, if such a thing exists.

Lidnod likes this.
  10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

lanokia and agathamorse like this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

AJP Taylor's History of World War I
    The Paintings of William Coldstream (Tate catalogue)
    and
    The Subterraneans by Jack Kerouac

12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I’ve just started Blood and Sugar by Laura Shepherd-Robinson. Set in 18th Century London and it’s about an abolitionist. I like it because it reminds me of the CJ Sansom Shardlake series.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Just read ...
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to Ravka . . . a world of science and superstition where nothing is what it seems. The Grisha can manipulate different aspects of their world. I reckon it might appeal to you Lan.

Now reading the second of the trilogy

[​IMG]

I

Jamvic, lanokia and agathamorse like this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

"The Silk Roads" by Peter Frankopan. Non-fiction and fascinating.

The traditional view is that Western civilization descends from the Romans, who were in turn heir to the Greeks, who, in some accounts, were heirs to the Egyptians. Frankopan argues that the Persian Empire was the actual centre point of the rise of Western civilization.

[​IMG]

Jamvic, Alice K, sbkrobson and 2 others like this.
  15. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I enjoyed the Dark Yorkshire series too, Sparkles.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'd like to read that one.
    Maybe you'd also like Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubron, beautiful exquisite history, anthropology and travel writing, like all his books. Love him, he's my travel guru.
    Here-
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/83934.Colin_Thubron

A while back i read his book Among The Russians-in parts just breathtaking to read,

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Jamvic, lanokia and nomad like this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Retreading the Bernie Gunther novels by Philip Kerr . Class . Just finished the magnificently complex ‘ March Violets ‘ and off to bed to start ‘ The Pale Criminal ‘ Yes they are bleak ( Berlin / 30s / rise of the Nazi party ) but infinitely preferable to dealing with the here and now :rolleyes:.

sadscientist and George_Randle like this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thank you. Much appreciated.

You might be interested in "The Fatal Shore: The Epic of Australia's Founding" by Robert Hughes. A history of the birth of Australia out of the suffering and brutality of Britain's convict transportation system. It also addresses the historical, political and sociological reasons that led to British settlement. It was first published in 1986.

I read it when I was working in Indonesia and found it inspiring enough to visit several of the key Australian places in the book.

[​IMG]

George_Randle, Jamvic and sbkrobson like this.
  19. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Just ordered it based on that.

Jamvic likes this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah thank you.
    That looks really great, I've just peaked at some reviews and now it's on my list on GoodReads

Edit-gawd, typo.
    **Peeked**, not **peaked**
    (It wasn't that much fun, the reviews.)

Jamvic, Lidnod and nomad like this.