1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Core language for new Year 9 curriculum - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by zrcadlo, Apr 20, 2012.

1. zrcadlo

zrcadlo New commenter

Hello there
    Together with my team I am just starting a rewrite of our Year 9 curriculum. This is for many reasons, but mostly a) because our school has gone to 3-year IGCSE but I don' t want it in MFL, so I am treating Year 9 as a foundation year for IGCSE, and b) because we have a very able cohort of Year 8 coming up and I want to stretch and interest them, and c) because our current Year 9 material is dullsville.
    I should add here that we are working in a small independent international school so have quite a lot of freedom regarding curriculum design.
    So far we've decided to go for a 'core language' ideally 1 sheet of A4 per language that we expect students to KNOW by the end of the year. Then we'll have a 'toolkit' which is language that we'd expect them to be able to USE, as a reference, to extend and improve their spoken/written work. Thirdly it will be based around a set of 5 thematic units which our student voice group has chosen.
    My question is to you: in my position, what would you consider the 'core language' that you would expect a highly motivated, fairly able Year 9 cohort to know by the end of the year, to be ready to start GCSE?
    Clearly the 3 tenses, but would you include conditional for example? What would be your key structures? Subjunctive in French or is it too much? If you would, which verbs would you include and in which forms? Subordinate clauses and word order changes in German? I know nothing about Spanish, so what would be the key structures there?
    We've got some more of our own ideas but I'm putting this up in case anyone can think of anything blindingly obvious that would make GCSE much easier if students had already learnt it in Year 9...
    Grateful for any opinions/suggestions, also appreciate that everyone is busy so no worries if you can't contribute.
    Thanks for reading this!

2. zrcadlo

zrcadlo New commenter

Hello there
    Together with my team I am just starting a rewrite of our Year 9 curriculum. This is for many reasons, but mostly a) because our school has gone to 3-year IGCSE but I don' t want it in MFL, so I am treating Year 9 as a foundation year for IGCSE, and b) because we have a very able cohort of Year 8 coming up and I want to stretch and interest them, and c) because our current Year 9 material is dullsville.
    I should add here that we are working in a small independent international school so have quite a lot of freedom regarding curriculum design.
    So far we've decided to go for a 'core language' ideally 1 sheet of A4 per language that we expect students to KNOW by the end of the year. Then we'll have a 'toolkit' which is language that we'd expect them to be able to USE, as a reference, to extend and improve their spoken/written work. Thirdly it will be based around a set of 5 thematic units which our student voice group has chosen.
    My question is to you: in my position, what would you consider the 'core language' that you would expect a highly motivated, fairly able Year 9 cohort to know by the end of the year, to be ready to start GCSE?
    Clearly the 3 tenses, but would you include conditional for example? What would be your key structures? Subjunctive in French or is it too much? If you would, which verbs would you include and in which forms? Subordinate clauses and word order changes in German? I know nothing about Spanish, so what would be the key structures there?
    We've got some more of our own ideas but I'm putting this up in case anyone can think of anything blindingly obvious that would make GCSE much easier if students had already learnt it in Year 9...
    Grateful for any opinions/suggestions, also appreciate that everyone is busy so no worries if you can't contribute.
    Thanks for reading this!