1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Core Knowledge curriculum (ks1 - 2)

Discussion in 'Independent' started by ninek, Apr 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ninek

ninek New commenter

Can anyone share their experience/knowledge of this curriculum (a local school that is advertising at the moment uses this curriculum). I know that it has some popularity in the USA, especially with home-schoolers, however I have not seen it much over here. So far I know that there is a strong emphasis on knowledge as opposed to skills and I know that there are books that set out in detail what should be taught in each year group. This is very different from what I am used to (i.e. national curriculum and international primary curriculum).

Any views would be appreciated.

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I occasionally dip into it but only when I'm feeling slightly uninspired. Not the most exciting stuff but as with many things it can be a starting point.

3. ninek

ninek New commenter

Yes I can see it being useful as a starting point. I would just be worried about a school following it to the letter.

4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

If you google 'core knowledge .......' You can see some of what they provide. I would also be reluctant to use it as a complete scheme. But I am reluctant to use anything as a complete scheme without modifying.

Could you visit the school if you are thinking of applying and ask relevant questions?