1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Core HoD - Underpaid?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by MattJ_2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. MattJ_2

MattJ_2 New commenter

Does TLR 2b (approximately £4300) seem too low for HoD of a core subject? This is the amount being offered for the role, but when I speak to friends from other schools core almost always seem to be on TLR 1. I'm aware that no school is the same, but does this not seem too low? From the job spec, it appears to be a regular HoD job.

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Sounds low. I'm in a school with 220 in each year, plus sixth form, Head of Maths, around £10,000 for my TLR. I would guess other Core subjects are around the same.

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Far too low.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If you don't like the pay offered don't accept the job.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's what your colleagues in your school are paid that is indicative of whether or not you're being paid appropriately - not what others are paid in other schools. Presumably you were not forced at gunpoint to accept this post?

6. MattJ_2

MattJ_2 New commenter

Thank you, adamcreen and jarndyce. I've only recently started looking at advertisements for this post and this one stood out as strikingly different so thought I'd ask what other people's experiences were.

Wanet and Middlemarch - Who said anything about taking the post? Fairly aggressive answers for an innocent question!

jarndyce likes this.
  7. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Indeed, no-one is under any obligation to apply for or accept any job.

On the other hand, surely a school which doesn't offer an attractive package compared to similar schools in the area is unlikely to attract outstanding candidates (or, if it does, they probably won't stay for very long)...

Still, at least this school was fairly open about it from the advertising stage (I gather). Nothing worse than taking the time and emotional investment to apply for a job, get interviewed, be delighted when offered the post, and then told the pay's not great!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

So you didn't. Apologies for not reading your original post carefully enough.

9. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

It may be low or it may be high. It depends on the subject, location, demand etc. if we are talking English, Maths, Computer Science or Science, I'd certainly say it is too low, unless you are a department of one. It's the managing people bit that can sap all the energy from someone as a HoD (apart from all the other things!)

10. grahamwales

grahamwales New commenter

But if everyone took that approach, SMTs would use it to force down TLR payments.
    That TLR is too low! With the emphasis now so much on core subjects, TLRs should reflect this onus of responsibility.
    As teachers in general (assuming we wish to protect/enhance our remuneration), we should all query low payments - whether thinking about accepting the job or not.

11. zuba102

zuba102 New commenter

That's normal if it's a biology, chemistry or physics hod job, for head of science, English or maths I would say too low!