1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cordial juice?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by blueone, Aug 4, 2011.

1. blueone

blueone New commenter

Just a quickie, should you give a 10 month old diluted cordial juice?

2. blueone

blueone New commenter

Just a quickie, should you give a 10 month old diluted cordial juice?

3. Do you mean squash? I wouldn't because of the sugar/additives/lack of nutritional value; I give my 18 month old very diluted pure fruit juice only with meals (used to use the marker on the Tommee Tippee basic sippy cup, now just dilute it like I would squash). I know it's full of fruit sugar but I believe that's it's better for her than artificial sweetener, and only having it with meals means less damage to teeth.

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Quite a few cordials contain phenylalanine which makes some people wheezy so I wouldn't give them to a baby- aspartame, an artificial sweetener is a nasty found in these drinks too. My 7 1/2 month old only has water and I'll keep it that way as long as possible. If they don't know any different it usually isn;t a problem sticking to water only. Like Clematis said, juice should be diluted so it just flavours the water.

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

There is a brand of squash called 'Rocks'. It's very tasty and totally organic/natural. All the big supermarkets stock it.
    However, give water for as long as you can possibly get away with it!

6. blueone

blueone New commenter

He wont drink water!! I would persist with giving it to him regardless of how much he drinks but because it has been warm i was worried about getting fluid into him. At the moment ive been giving him the heinz/cow and gate baby fruit juices but i just wondered about squash! Thanks for replies x

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I occasionally let my 2 year old have a small bit of Robinsons sugar free squash with his water, but generally he'll drink his water without a fuss.

8. I had exactly the same problem, was very sure I would only be giving LO water but she just wouldn't drink it and was getting seriously dehydrated in the hot weather we had a couple of months ago. In desperation I bought some baby juice from the supermarket (there is a Heinz one and a Hipp Organic one in my local Sainsbury's) and although it is already supposed to be diluted with spring water I diluted it again with boiled water. All of a sudden she drank which was such a relief. I asked my HV and she said it was fine as long as she was having it from a cup not a bottle and that I brushed her teeth which I was doing anyway. She now (9months) has it very diluted but always recognises the difference if I go back to just water! I think if it is a choice between them having a little bit of squash or not drinking I know what I would choose!

9. Yes I mainly give juice if she's not drinking water and naturally she's a bit hit and miss- so
    Sometimes glugs water, sometimes nit a drop! Have you tried diluted apple juice, blueone? It's my lo's absolute fave!

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

http://www.boots.com/en/Nuby-Easy-Grip-Beaker-girl_1219105/
    I bought my son a cup like this recently as he always wanted my drink if i had a bottle of diet coke or something, and i thought he'd find it more interesting as it looks like a bottle (i didn't get him the girl one btw!). Plus it's no spill and he loves to tip water on the floor!

11. blueone

blueone New commenter

Thanks I may invest in one of them, to add to the mountain of cups Ive already bought in an attempt to make him drink! I must admit, I have been giving him juice from a bottle recently as it was the only way he would drink more than a few drops, and as someone said earlier in the recent hot weather i was more concerned about getting the stuff in him rather than how it got there! One more thing, someone also mentioned earlier about brushing teeth. Do you physically brush your LOs teeth or do you just give them the tooth brush to 'suck'?

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I physically brush his teeth. I usually do it while he's in the bath so he's a bit distracted. Sometimes i have to pretend to brush the teeth of his bath toys to get him to open his mouth! I let him brush his own teeth at other times in the day. He usually follows me when i go to the loo, and he pulls his step out and stands by the sink and brushes his teeth in his own little way!

13. How about a straw? Mine will always drink from a straw! (Mind you I can't remember at what age she started sucking drink from a straw- worth a try maybe)