1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cor Nigella's back

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Oct 30, 2017.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I own one of her egg cups plate and spoon. Collectors item:) My wife bought one of her books a few years ago, I still have it and have on occasion used it. How many of her books etc do you own?

2. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

who cares?

les25paul likes this.
  3. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

About what?

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I might be missing something here. Is Nigella under contractual obligations to appear in front of the camera in the manner she does, or is it more the case she's one of those people who have found there's profitable mileage to be had from the adage "If you've got it, then flaunt it"?

A story I read recently went something like this:

Young girl: "I want to be a feminist when I grow up."

Mother: "Then you'll need to make your mind up which of those is the more important to you."

Maybe there's someone keen on explaining what the mother meant?

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I can't get my head round this. So, when you're out walking, you pay compliments to attractive women. Women you don't know. If they're amenable.

What do you say?

emerald52 likes this.
  6. zizzyballoon

If they seem amenable

7. Dunteachin

Sorry.

How does one seem amenable? Not one man, unknown to me, has ever paid me a compliment in the street.

Do I not look at him the right way?

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have not been disrespectful at all. As far as I am concerned eye candy is a compliment and is not overtly sexual. I think there is a very strange undercurrent in this discussion, very strange indeed.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If I smile first and she smiles back, I might pay the lady a compliment. That in no way implies anything other than a compliment. If you or others think it means something else then it is your minds that are the problem.

10. zizzyballoon

Perhaps it's the siren mermaids beneath the water.:p

emerald52 and lexus300 like this.
  11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Don't start on mermaids, you will get me into deep water;)

12. zizzyballoon

You've been placed in the scales and found wanting. Fins ain't what they used to be.

les25paul, emerald52 and lexus300 like this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I am guilty of admiring beautiful women and I will continue to admire them no matter what. I am a lost cause:)

14. Dunteachin

But what sort of compliment? I'm intrigued; I'm not trying to trip you up. "I like your dress/hair/shoes?"
    I smile at men; they smile at me. It doesn't lead to a compliment...

Although, I did get into conversation with a chap in the street, not that long ago. Then we bumped into each other again in a shop. He asked me if I'd like to go for a coffee. I had to decline, but was flattered. :) I think. He must have been 20 years older than me, and I'm no spring chicken!

emerald52 and lexus300 like this.
  15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

OK.
    It depends on what I see.
    I might say, a simple hello or you look lovely or you have put a smile on my face or you have just made an older man feel much younger.
    Mood, weather, location all play a part. Nothing premeditated just as the mood takes me. I would never want to embarrass or offend so I would say it quietly and discretely. I would then walk on to wherever I was headed.:)
    Life is too short for inhibitions and stuffed shirts, I like to play the game.

Dunteachin likes this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Life has taught me not to smile at teachers in school as they are too stressed out to appreciate it... plus they think your chatting them up. as if .. I'm a married man. Also I don't believe in in relationships within work.
    However, I agree with Lexus..why be a miserable old glaring man if you can add something to a persons life with a nice comment.Most of my comments are the time of the day a smile, a thank you or or a cheery good morning. The most scowls I get are from middle aged women .......the young and the old know how to deal with us men.:p

lexus300 likes this.
  17. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Oh dear re-education camp on 21st century behaviour has got another couple of students. I don't dress for anyone except me. I would be appalled if Mr. E gave out random comments to women.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Hardly random or a comment, they are admiration/compliments, they are free of charge and becoming increasingly rare in this PC stifled world.

19. Dunteachin

OK. Olds, a comment about the weather, saying thank you and goodbye etc are all normal daily interactions, whatever your age or gender. Nothing to write home about there.

Lexus, not sure what you mean about "play the game". And saying "you look lovely", quietly and discreetly, to a strange, young woman is a bit creepy, tbh!

If Mr Dunty went round doing that, I'd be waiting for him with a rolling pin!

InkyP, grumpydogwoman and emerald52 like this.
  20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Complimenting a lady is creepy!
    We are doomed:(