1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cor Nigella's back

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Oct 30, 2017.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Really? Why?

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Really because it is.

3. ilovesooty

Ok, I'll break it down.

What is your definition of a "normal" woman?

Why should a woman interpret as a compliment a term that some people find demeaning?

And - just a thought - would you be happy to have men openly lusting after your wife or daughter and referring to their sexual attributes as in this thread?

4. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I really don't think 'normal' women want to be referred to as eye candy. You are describing a woman solely on the way she looks. I like to think most 'normal' women would like to be thought of as more than their ability to attract the eye of men. Honestly, I thought we had gone past this. It's the equivalent of builders whistling. That isn't a compliment either.

InkyP, zizzyballoon and knitone like this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Why then should men be considered eye candy...they are portrayed as young,athletic and ''alive;..why .to please the young woman of the world who think all their dream men should look like this. Stereotypes work both ways.
    Woman would soon moan if they had no compliments....and yes they do like them.,even older ladies
    No ,we don't see all women as eye candy.I don't.but i do see them as attractive and compliment them as such, but different women get different compliments according to what you assess is good, attractive or enjoyable about them......some i just walk on by and ignore because the strike no chords with me.( i dont just mean beauty either)
    If you really think there should be no compliments then ban all the things that portray them as in need of compliments,no make up, lippy,clothes that appeal to whom?,make skirts long , ban clothes deliberately made to flaunt a woman's s charms, stop adds which give claims to making women complexions better for they have no need as men are not to be judging beauty.
    Yes, it get ridiculous that a comment is interpreted in such reactionary ways, but i get so annoyed that woman want men to see and appreciate them and their charms, but we are not allowed to say we do because we are not supposed to be judging that, or even judging them on that,considering the first attraction of men to women is on looks and visa versa.
    It is not, as it claimed blaming them as victims, but rather they chose to wear and behave how they wish.If they chose, then they cant expect others to not react.Yes, man can refuse to look, touch or desire, but why should all the blame be put on man.
    Women hold their own destiny in their hands to some extent, but when I see a the signs I know who is on the hunt and pull....and men easily fall for the charms.We are so daft we cant resist the lure of the mermaid to destruction.
    I do believe in equal rights for women and their sex should not stop them from greatness...they also have the right to dress and wear what they wish , to look and cajole......but to do so with full knowledge what such actions my incite and not claim afterwards that they did not realise what might happen.

lexus300 likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Gosh, @oldsomeman can tell just by looking whether or not a female is on the pull. He can see the signs! Wow. He does have extraordinary powers of percipience, does he not!

He should be in charge of training for those other men who believe (obviously erroneously) exactly the same thing. But @oldsomeman has godlike qualities which make him privy to the inner workings of the female mind. Gosh.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

I can not speak for others but I fail often in the first category of of your sarcasm.
    Your view marginalises what I attempted to explain( however badly,) and gives me qualities I would be the first to deny,even if you are sarcastically believing I have the skill to do.if only.
    Understand a women mind.No chance, even God probably cant do that :) After 40 years of marriage I never assume i know my wife's mind or understand her workings each day is a new experience in realising i can but counter by letting her do her ownthing and spoil her fun lol.

8. grumpydogwoman

I'm sure you're pretty harmless @oldsomeman

But other men who share your attitudes to women most certainly are not.

9. knitone

knitone Senior commenter

Do you really mean that women can wear what they want as long as they do not complain about sexual harassment or violence afterwards? Is this really what you think?

10. T34

T34 Established commenter

How else do you suggest apart from the visual?
    Smell the pheremones?
    Use a clinical thermometer?

How do you know when your dog wants its dinner?

11. ilovesooty

I don't think men should expect to accept being referred to as eye candy either. I think women salivating over men is just as sleazy.

No one said that women (even older women - did I really read that?!!) don't appreciate compliments from appropriate men in an appropriate setting. That is very different from what's in this thread and different from builders' whistling.
    As for all this rubbish about men being unable to resist the lure of the mermaid to destruction and their inability to control their actions, words fail me.

12. grumpydogwoman

How about talking to a woman? Having a conversation?

Not just looking at her and making an assumption?

See the signs? The lure of the mermaid?

You have no clue by looking at our clothes or our faces if we're "on the hunt and pull". None. You'd have to treat us as equals and converse to get anywhere near close to knowing. Plus we might change our mind about it after five minutes of chatting to you.

InkyP, mothorchid, emerald52 and 2 others like this.
  13. knitone

knitone Senior commenter

You could try striking up a conversation, you know.

I know my dog wants feeding because she jumps up and down like a kangaroo on a pogo stick. I am guessing that most women who are interested in beginning a relationship don’t do this, although having been married for thirty years, I confess it is quite a while since I dipped my toe in the dating pool.

emerald52, T34 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  14. knitone

knitone Senior commenter

Beat me to it, GDW!

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

"Some I just walk on by and ignore...". Do you pay compliments to random women in the street whom you find attractive, Olds? Or am I interpreting this wrongly?

emerald52 likes this.
  16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

When Nigella is presenting a cookery programme then the relevant professional attributes are tasty, easy to follow recipes that are well explained and engagingly presented. I don't find her flirty manner engaging. I find it off putting. I don't like to see people of either gender using sex to sell instead of their more relevant abilities. I agree with @grumpydogwoman - it is sleazy.

InkyP, mothorchid, emerald52 and 3 others like this.
  17. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Wolf whistler.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Nope. It is pleasing to the eye both her way of presenting ;) and her cooking as well and that is my happy position. If it bothers you or Grumpy or anyone else then switch it off.

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

How many of her cookery books do you own? How often do you cook her recipes?

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If I see an attractive lady, I may compliment her if she seems amenable otherwise I may just smile at her and carry on walking. As far as I know there are no laws forbidding a compliment or for an admiring look and smile. Yet.

Seems to be a few cats around just lately, claw sharpening:eek: