1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cor Nigella's back

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Oct 30, 2017.

1. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Creepy woman.

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Occasional commenter

I can't bear her delivery on TV, but I do have a couple of the books and the recipes are good. I'm not sure whether TV producers would ask a male cook (chef?) to behave in such a sexualised way while cooking. It would be odd. So I don't know why we have to endure it from Nigella.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ratings. Viewing figures, that's why. She's food ****.

4. Dunteachin

Tut. P o r n.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

You don't have to endure her.You switch channels or turn off!
    Why is it that if you like a woman or her ways of presenting and even her cooking you/they are somehow a form of evil? Are men not allowed to like something about a woman...or are we so caught up with this trend to make men unempowered we cant comment?
    I watch lots of cookery programmes and like the cooks for different reasans.delivery,content,humour,place, personality. Why do woman cooks have to be singled out if they are appealing. I love Lorraine's cooking and the person...but her approach is different. I used to like the two fat ladies as they were from a different planet i think, or Delia for motherly looks and no nonsense approach. In the old days even Fanny Craddock and her suffering husband where 'different' to watch.

6. Dunteachin

It comes across that you like her looks more than how she cooks, oldy. ;)

Nowt wrong with that.

lexus300 likes this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You want to talk about her cooking programme, her ****, or both?

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Whether her looks make her or her skills, I've never heard her apologise for the air miles ratcheted up by following her recipes.
    Not that environmental ethics ought to come into it of course.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Should they not???

Surely ethics come into everything!

You can't countenance authors (well, I can't) who advocate battery-farmed eggs. I think air-miles has everything to do with the (so-to-speak) price of fish! I take ethics very seriously when buying and consuming food.

mothorchid likes this.
  10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It does something completely different for me;)

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I was being ironic.

12. grumpydogwoman

Thank goodness!

I can get off my high horse now. That's a relief.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No, no high horse. I'm all about supermarket and TV and consumer oblivion to a bigger picture.

Well my comment was based on recalling a recent thread about some green gloop that Nigella had recently recommended, and the responses were mostly pertinent recipe ideas or vague disgust at the colour, although my overriding objection to it was the thought of chartering a flight specifically to fly it over to be sold in Waitrose...wish I could remember what it was, too many meds, but I Googled the provenance and it was a rather extravagant representation in fuel versus the well-heeled ability to tell your guests something ootray about how you select your ingredients

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

Ha!

And what's the betting she's a champion of "local foods"???

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I would happily and politely discuss both.:)

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

It's nothing to do with men being disempowered.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ha.
    Extract here from "Simply Nigella", and I've emboldened the reason why food miles don't need to come into it-

"The food I’m cooking now is simply the food I want to eat. It doesn’t have a theme, but then life doesn’t have a theme. It may be a warm salad of spiced roast cauliflower, chickpeas, parsley and pomegranates; a tray of slow-roasted lamb ribs (back to the breast of lamb I cooked as a student); an easy oven version of chicken shawarma; a salmon, avocado, watercress and pumpkin salad (avocados, which always make me think of geranium-lipsticked Great-Aunt Myra, are unapologetically abundant in my new book); banana bread with cardamom and cocoa nibs; a salted chocolate tart (assurance: no pastry involved); pasta snails with garlic butter, my reworking of a childhood treat."

So to stock Nigella's cupboard she'd require trips from (feasibly)-
    Turkey, Iran, India, Mexico, France, Bahamas, Spain, Pakistan, Ghana, Nigeria and...Norfolk.

When you view TV cooking in this way, Nigella is by far the worst food miles offender. Pretentious imported truffle foam on a jus de nothing.

**slurps parsnip wine righteously**

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    rosievoice likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

She's just one of those people I don't like. Something about her mannerisms and delivery. She doesn't appeal to me at all.

But I don't suppose she'd be MY biggest fan either.

Life doesn't have a theme? It needn't, I suppose. Not if you have the money to indulge yourself. Most people do have a theme imposed upon them: can I afford it?

Then there are those of us who can (personally) afford to buy a lot of the things we like but start to ask questions such as: can the planet afford it?

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I don't like how false her programmes are.
    False friends, false kitchen, false lifestyle.
    But good food although so fattening she clearly does not slurp away and salted caramel croissant bread and butter pudding at midnight.

20. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

Tellyland is false isnt it? Thats why we love the fantasy of it.. Some of us clearly fantasise about Nigellas cookery more than others.