1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cor Nigella's back

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Oct 30, 2017.

1. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

Why bother? You surely don’t feel the need to justify yourselves?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Why now?

There has been much about it in the news. How people in power treat others. The sort of things people do that is the thin end of the wedge.

And then the short shrift that some complainants have received. You must be lying or exaggerating because you said nothing when it happened.

Why can people not understand that you might be too embarrassed, overawed or frightened to do anything? Or shocked. So surprised you just almost freeze.

I think a lot of people are sick of it. They finally manage to conquer their fear and reticence but are then disbelieved. The floodgates have opened to a certain extent. And some people who have claimed that they know when a woman is dressed in a sexually provocative fashion and means to lure them (not my phrase) and are simply responding to what woman wants? I don't want to let that pass.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

It was the suggestion that men may be incapable of controlling themselves and they bear absolutely no responsibility for that which I was unhappy with.

4. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

I didn’t notice that but I obviously understand why anyone would be more than unhappy with that. I may read back but I really don’t feel like it right now.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

There was also a reference to knowing that some women were unhappy with it but that being their problem. That suggestion bothered me.

foxtail3, emerald52, vannie and 3 others like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

The four bits in red? Totally unacceptable.
    1. I buy my clothes from charity shops or plus-size shops. Nobody manufactured them to flaunt my charms
    2. No, I don't.
    3. Yes, I can expect you not to react.
    4. My actions in getting dressed can be deemed to incite???

7. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

Yes I think in the past threads got out of hand. But I had a choice not to read them and put a lot of it down to posters having one too many glasses of wine. It being too easy to type and click send before giving much thought to the consequences. I’d like to think we are wiser these days

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I had the same problem.

I am the first to admit that my behaviour has not always been perfect or even at the level I expect of myself.
    That has never been a question of not being able to control my urges but of failing to do so when I could and should have.
    There are no excuses for that and I bear the responsibility, no-one else. :(

9. ilovesooty

Thank you @Didactylos4. If I could like that a dozen times I would.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's me warned. I look forward to seeing vast swathes of censored posts and multitudes thrown into the outer darkness.

Dunteachin likes this.
  11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm wondering if the Problem Page might get closed down...

Duke of York likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

Oddly enough I was going to cite @racroesus for how to behave in a way that isn't offensive.

I'd say he manages to be suggestive and risqué (when he wants to be) without writing anything that would embarrass Maleficent.

I can't think of anything he's said that makes me bridle.

Problem Page is different, I think.

ilovesooty and emerald52 like this.
  13. ilovesooty

Not seen you post anything I've felt particularly uncomfortable with.

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

We're all consenting adults over there.:eek:

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The words are in black and white, the context that might allow them to be abuse-free can't be pinned down as far as I can see. I appreciate the thoughts, though.

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

I think everyone knows Problem Page is irony. I certainly post smut on there. For consenting adults.

But I think from what a certain person has said it's just an honest view about women and their supposed keenness to "lure" men and elicit compliments. That's a worry.

vannie and emerald52 like this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You made the point many, many pages ago that you didn't like the contributions @oldsomeman had made in this and other threads. He's ceased contributing to it. To persist in the manner you're doing is to bully; and undermines any serious points you have to make on improving how men and women should regard each other.

I fail to understand what the intention of this is.

les25paul likes this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A strange man giving compliments in a remote location would definitely be worrying

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'd just like to add to this that I'm not suggesting that @lexus300 had any evil intentions but that if I was in the position of this woman in an isolated place and a man commented on my appearance I would be quite frightened of what he was leading up to. When I am out walking my dog I often pass men who might say "'morning'" and pass on by or, if they have a dog, some dog related comment but never a comment on the way I look.

A couple of weeks ago I passed a man going in the opposite direction who then stopped, looked at me for a while and turned to come back in the same direction as me. I got out of there as quickly as possible and headed towards a more populated area. Maybe he had lost his way but I wasn't going to hang about to find out what he wanted.