1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Copyright

Discussion in 'Music' started by spanboy, Apr 24, 2011.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Hi all
    Any advice would be greatly received about the following:
    Next year I'd like to record a CD with a school jazz group. I could just compose my own charts completely and hence avoid the copyright issue altogether, but I would like to include <u>some</u> well-known tunes, maybe some <u>very</u> old 'jazz' standards, given a modern slant through the arrangement.
    My question is: is there a register/list/association or whatever to help me know which tunes/composers etc are out of copyright ( I presume the 70 year rule still applies)?
    Similarly, is there a register/list etc with the cheapest tunes in terms of paying royalties?
    Am I correct in thinking that once a composer has been dead for 70 years his/her output is fair game for using, or is it possible for publishing companies to 'buy' his/her collection?
    Money - or rather, lack of it - is the main issue.
    Any refererence for a starting point would be very welcome, so I can get the ball rolling asap.
    Many thanks

2. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

You most probably need this licence
    http://www.prsformusic.com/users/recordedmedia/cdsandvinyl/Pages/LimitedManufactureLicence(LM).aspx
    It's pretty cheap, being a one-off blanket licence, for unsigned artists/bands/etc., including schools
    Contact them to check.
    Happy Easter!

3. Get your HT to get off his posterior and check it out.
    Then it is not your problem if you keep good copies of the emails you exchanged on the subject and then you're covered.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

According to wiki, the music was written by Ben Bernie and Maceo Pinkard. They died in 1943 and 1962 respectively. So, to me, their work is still under copyright. Unless I am missing something about the origin of the music...