1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Copyright question

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by EC_Resources, May 8, 2019.

1. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

I've seen a load of resources recently uploaded that quite shamelessly take whole paragraphs from places like Wikipedia and the BBC website, maybe change the first word or two words in a paragraph (or not at all) and then put together to sell as information sheets. I've not reported them yet - although it's pretty easy to see where everything is from by just typing the sentence in Google. It really annoys me though - and should other authors - as I spend hours writing information sheets from scratch - taking great care to ensure nothing even sounds remotely like the websites I read to brief myself beforehand, and then people just come along and cheat.

Anyway this brings me to my actual question - I can't see that these mentioned above have been referenced and they're not in quotations or anything - but it made me wonder though, how much are we allowed to take as chunks if we are legitimately referencing in quotations? I know in academic circles it would be a very short paragraph immediately referenced - with spaces before and after to separate and make the point that it's not a person's own work. But of course those aren't generally for sale. I know Tes published some guidance on this recently, but I can't find it!

Can someone from the author team point me in the right direction please? Thanks :)

2. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

This will depend on the licence under which each 'copied' passage of text was originally shared, we therefore can't give any specific guidance as it varies depending on the information used in each resource. Sadly this means there's no generic rules we can give.

Our Copyright blogs do give advice on the use of text for quotation and analysis purposes linking to further pages with more information where appropriate. The Copyright FAQs may answer further questions on this subject.

EC_Resources likes this.
  3. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

Thanks I'll have a read. The ones I've seen today weren't for critique or analysis however, they were just being passed off as if the person had written them!