1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Copyright poll

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by mathsmutt, May 17, 2016.

?

Which of these describe your resources?

Poll closed May 31, 2016.
  1. CA+

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. CB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Following all the discussions re copyright, here is a quick ,anonymous poll - purely for nosiness.
    Two weeks only.
    Which of these describe your resources?

All author's own original work and copyright:

copya.gif

Partly author's own work, partly someone else's copyright:
    copyb.gif

Not author's original work or copyright:

copyminus.gif

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Not clear if you mean paid for resources only? E.g. in free resources I use symbols with permission which are copyrighted to the software company.

mathsmutt likes this.
  3. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

I see the CB category applying to resources which have been taken,tweaked and reposted .

I thought you were a member of the CA+ group ,since your content, including artwork, was your own and you have appropriate permissions.

4. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Free and paid for resources.

5. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

CB would also apply to resources created by the author but containing copyrighted content taken from elsewhere, without permission.Eg. images.

C- applies to resources which have been copied and passed off as own.
    Or just copied and put up for sale as is.

6. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

What about work that includes purchased work from others which I don't own the copyright to but I do have permission to use?

Clip art for example

mathsmutt likes this.
  7. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

CA+
    Since permission to use.

iGCSE101 likes this.
  8. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

CA+ is for own work and copyright, or have proper permission to use.:)

9. John1917

John1917 New commenter

Would a free resource be regarded as an academic use ? ... which I have assumed relatively OK as long as attribute source. CB probably but in reality a bit unsure.

mathsmutt likes this.
  10. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Bit of a minefield this! I'm surprised TES don't offer more guidance on it (or maybe I missed it?).

This link has a good chart to work through whether or not to use things.

I'd think that academic use refers to use in your own classroom rather than sharing it on here. As TES is now effectively using all resources to promote the sales of commercial resources it could be argued that free resources on here are actually for profit and therefore don't qualify as non-profit academic use. I don't know whether the liability would be with TES as the publisher or the author though?

mathsmutt likes this.
  11. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Excellent chart, @thinky ,
    Thank you for sharing it.

12. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

For a working teacher the copyright probably belongs to the school you work in. If it contains others work then the copyright for that belongs with them. Others copyright should be acknowledged. Few teachers seem to understand or acknowledge copyright. Organisations like ZigZag are much better at copyright than TES.

mathsmutt likes this.
  14. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

15. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Judging by the few responses to the poll, you've hit it on the head !:)

16. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Not always. I have in my contract that I own any I make, I like to cover myself :)

mathsmutt likes this.
  17. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

This is a really good idea.

I think it would be helpful if the design people at TES could put together a funky resource to explain copyright and licensing along with helpful tips such as contract agreements and the difference between fair use/commercial etc. I'm sure lots of people would find that useful and reassuring.

mathsmutt likes this.
  18. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

If you make it at school, whilst being paid by that school, it is a bit dodgy to then sell it for profit! If you make it outside of school, in your own time, then selling is fine unless you have breached copyright in some other way (usually images). I use this site for all my images.

https://openclipart.org/royalty-free-clipart

mathsmutt likes this.
  19. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Agree, totally dodgy!:)

My understanding of the new legislation:- resources made by myself at home predominately for use in my school with my classes could be deemed to be copyrighted to my employer, unless a contract exists to the contrary.

Resources made by myself at home , not required for me to carry out my role but purely for the purpose of publishing as part of a declared business, remain copyrighted to me.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/379040/c-notice-201402.pdf
    http://copyrightsandwrongs.nen.gov....eacher-the-workforce-the-school-and-copyright
    This truly is a
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=can+of+worms&view=detailv2&qft=+filterui:license-L2_L3_L4_L5_L6_L7&id=CFC8BF8E6BF79B8C3D014505C5EBAC2398EF03D8&selectedIndex=5&ccid=fU/+82Gz&simid=607990138297714393&thid=OIP.M7d4ffef361b3f357ff12699e0cdc704ao0

20. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter