1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Copyright on screenshots of software

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by jkemm, Jun 3, 2018.

1. jkemm

jkemm New commenter

How does copyright affect me taking screen grabs of areas of software? Not screenshots of the whole screen, just areas like buttons etc.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

The TES guidelines:

We expect authors to upload original resources they have created themselves. If they include material from others they should either have direct permission, or be using material in line with how it’s licensed (so if, for example, they’re including an image that has a Creative Commons licence, but that requires attribution, it should be attributed).

I suppose the question is whether or not the screenshot of a particular button is classed as 'an image', and might therefore have specific attributions associated with it, based on ownership.

If the item in question was a standard GUI widget - and therefore not recognisable by virtue of its appearance, as specific to the software displaying it - then I'm not sure there's much you could do. Unless its appearance is associated with a specific piece of software, then a 'Save' button is going to look pretty much like another 'Save' button.

On the other hand, if the screenshot showed not just the button, but the dialogue or menu bar associated with it, then I imagine you would be expected to have asked permission to include screenshots. You could ask via email / snail mail. The issue then, is what to do if you don't get any response to your request. I think the key thing, is that you have done what you could resonably be expected to do, in order to obtain permission.

You could of course, include an 'Acknowledgements' notice, in which you listed the software(s) used, and the associated owners of registered trademarks.

Disclaimer: This is just my take on the copyright issue. It would be best to get clarification from someone at TES.

border_walker likes this.