1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Copyright of teacher produced recourses

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by spsmith45, Feb 17, 2012.

1. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I read on Twitter that lesson plans etc written by academy teachers were owned by the academy are should not be shared. Is this true? Does this also apply to community schools? I seem to recall this issue being mentioned on this forum recently.

2. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

The TES which I often criticise has to be fair done quite a good job of encouraging teachers to share their work online and give them credit for it. For most people in teaching the prime motivation of sharing their materials is to enjoy the feeling of being useful to others and saving others time and if you become a super provider you do get a full page cartoon of yourself in the TES. That must be worth more than a miserable hundred quid royalties!
    Personally I would have preferred the TES to have stayed as it was, packed with news, views and reviews and waying a ton from March to May..

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Would you be able to appeal to the European court of human rights?
    (I'm only half joking - the idea of an employer "owning" your intellectual work is rather shocking, particularly for the pay)

4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Outrageous!

5. Given the provision these days for Creative Commons licences, the growing calls for open educational resources and the ease with which we can self publish, employers would be wise to ask creative staff to make their work available under a CC licence and respect the IP of the originator. That would be a win-win. Alienating your "talent" is a sure way to lose them. the best could make a living from materials creation alone (as Graham and others have proven)

6. Now this may be a complete red herring - but lecturers in universities are these days expected to produce copious amounts of research, which they could well publish in book form, and receive royalties for. My father for example, before his retirement from university teaching, produced quite a large number of books on his subject, which still feature on student reading lists.
    But I don't think there was ever any question of anyone but him holding the copyright, or receiving the royalties.
    And admittedly I'm going back to the eighties, but I definitely remember being encouraged to purchase textbooks which had been produced by certain of the lecturers - and they weren't doing that to swell the university coffers.
    Is there a difference??

7. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Or even weighing. I agree: and an editor who knows something about the chalkface (or should that be IWB interface?) would be good, too.
    As for schools claiming copyright, I wonder how often it happens? Because when a teacher arrives at their new school s/he necessarily brings materials made in previous posts. Would the new school be happy to pay royalties to the old one?
    I suppose it'll just take some avaricious Tory (there is another kind?) to wreck the whole idea of collegiality.