1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

copyright of photos used on google

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by liz mortimer, May 19, 2011.

1. liz mortimer

liz mortimer New commenter

Hi, I have made a powerpoint about French houses and rooms using photos from google - I wanted to ensure that pupils could appreciate the cultural differences. I am more than happy to upload this onto the TES, but don't want to cause copyright problems. Is this allowed?
    Thank you. Yours in photographic confusion.

2. It certainly reads that way, Martin. I think the main point is that they want to stop people passing off the original photos as their own, regardless of whether it's for personal gain or not. The wording is not at all clear, but I think it would be OK to use these photos on a website or in a publicly accessible PowerPoint presentation. They are "dead" photos - hence the name "morgue file".
    Regards
    Graham

3. liz mortimer

liz mortimer New commenter

Thank you one and all. Must dash, am off to Morguefile.
    Liz M

4. I wondered if anyone knows the status of using Microsoft clipart - either from Word etc or from the online clipart bank.

5. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

I don't know whether anyone has mentioned the National Education Network (NEN) gallery which contains images which teachers can use in their work. This was started up by the East of England Broadband network and contains language related resources under Places (Foreign and Travel) URL is http://gallery.nen.gov.uk/
    It would be a good place for language teachers (or any other subject) to add to collaboratively. Like in flickr etc photos can be downloaded in different sizes for use. There is already quite a lot of stuff up there for the commonly taught language countries whereas personally I couldn't find anything I remotely wanted on morguefile (looks like images that didn't make it into the clipart bank).