1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Copyright Matters

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by JosieWhitehead, Jun 23, 2019.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

As creative people yourselves, have you had any problems regarding copyright? I am both a retired teacher and now a children's poet whose work goes into classrooms worldwide (Google Analytics told me 188 countries). I've written 1,350 poems in my retirement from teaching, asked to write poems by children in my local primary school and week after week and year after year I wrote for them. My poems go out to schools via my five huge internet websites where I am able to also add my voice recording to help children both with poetry performance and help for those learning English as a second/foreign language. I have been fortunate to not find too many people exploiting my copyright, for I hold the copyright on all my work, even though some publishers have published work in their books - but what would make me really angry would be to see people incorporating my poems into their lesson plans, without my consent and, furthermore, making money from doing so and without my permission. I believe that the copyright stays with the writer for their lifetime and 70 years afterwards. Have any of you had any problems in any way with your own copyright?