1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Copyright in international schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by briancant, Jun 19, 2019.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

How does CIS (which is what we had in China) compare with COBIS (what we are going to get here in Sofia)? Are COBIS a bit stricter? Or does it all depend on whether your inspector is a friend of the principal?

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

What if copyright laws don't exist in the country you teach in?

A certain French based hypermarket near me used to sell top of the range pirated DVDs and their fake "name branded" badminton racquets were the best I've ever bought. Still going strong after 10 years - well worth the $50 I spent on the 50 of them
    ;););)

3. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Sure, it is the same where i reside. Steal the rights to anything - books, software, games, films, music, clothing, . . . TV channels use youtube videos on their new station fgs.

Problem is that some of these schools and accreditation agencies maybe affiliated to their home countries and bound by their laws.

4. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

In SE Asia common to find massive academic "book stores" full of photocopied books for courses. Par for the course in Asia.

The right to copy!

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When this smelly old hippo was teaching in Qatar, there was a gloriously absurd story doing the rounds about a certain school that bought some inflatable globes. ("Blow up the world" - is this Al Qaeda's motto?) Anyway, the aforementioned world maps all had "Israel" on them, so some helpful Qatari official cut out the offending state from each one, thereby making all of the globes non-inflatable. My guess is that it was probably someone at the SEC. It's the kind of thing that the Supreme (And Absolutely Perfect) Education Council is really good at.

6. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I bought 10 of those globes a couple of years ago. Fortunately I'm in a country that likes Israelis.

7. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

How odd.

I was hunting for some inflatable globes just like that and checked out Ebay. Much to my delight, a seller from Bulgaria was offering some at a discounted price and I of course immediately out bid all and sundry. When they arrived at my door they were useless with holes exactly where yours were and where you would have expected Israel to be. What a coincidence.

Helen-Back likes this.