1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Copyright for English Literature/Reading Questions

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by shoes123, Aug 26, 2019.

1. shoes123

shoes123 New commenter

Hi - I'd like to become a TES author and I'm a little confused about copyright law. As an English teacher I obviously use non-fiction and fiction texts which are current or extremely old. PPT slides and worksheets would need extracts from these texts (and in the case of poetry, the text in its entirety). I've had a look at the guidance on copyright in the Author's Academy section but it seems unclear as regards English teaching. Please can anyone help?

2. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

You cannot include poems or text without the agreement of the copyright holder (usually the author). Copyrigt lasts for 70 years after the death of the author so unless you are using very old text it will probably still be under copyright. The difference is, if you are referancing old work but specifically referring to a new publication in then the publisher owns the copyright. You need to ask permission from the copyright holder.

3. shoes123

shoes123 New commenter

Thanks for this.

4. wordsmithDFA

wordsmithDFA New commenter

Please read the literature yourself. There is a 'Fair use' clause in the law itself which allows you to reproduce any author's work. It depends what you're using it for, why you're using it and how much you use. Teaching & reviewing are considered fair use. I mention reviewing because we analyse closely and they are reviews if you add them into your work.

I usually see how much is reviewed by other publications online and then use less than them but there are no set rules on amount. Some sources say 10% and others say between 200 and 300 words.

Videos on Youtube are also under copyright laws - even linking them to a sold resource is infringement. There are, however a lot of things that aren't...so, if you want to use a video I'd recommend using a standard video downloader and if it stops you, you need a different one. A lot of trailers are 'Fair use' but I'd still check to be safe.

Images can now be searched, particularly on Google, with 'copyright free' as a key phrase. I always try to take my own pictures for Q5 but a lot of advertisements, again, are fair use...

There are lots of sources but this is just one you can look at outside this site: https://self-publishingschool.com/how-to-copyright-a-book/

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

Fair use for education allows a teacher to use it in their classroom but not for commercial purposes outside their classroom. Be careful about assuming fair use applies when selling resources. Always ask permission rather than making assumptions.

6. wordsmithDFA

I'm not assuming anything. Fair use applies to reproduction. Read about it ...

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    wordsmithDFA likes this.
  8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Linking is not an infringement.

9. wordsmithDFA

That depends on the copyright owner...you link to something from Miramax and then tell me that.

I linked a Bruce Lee film clip and I was asked very politely to remove it...

10. wordsmithDFA

True, but English teachers produce reviews within their work. Which changes things a little. Reproducing and selling something is like a reviewer posting an excerpt on their official website.

They don't all ask for permission and they don't have to because they're only using it within the limitations. Clearly, they make money.

Self-published authors do it all the time.

11. Rott Weiler

I don't agree they are the same thing at all! But I'm not a copyright lawyer and OP has several links to get him started on more research, and should get professional advice if not completely certain of his position.

12. wordsmithDFA

I take your point. That however, is your interpretation. Unfortunately, everything is open to it...

13. wordsmithDFA

I knew I'd seen a good explanation online.

Look into 'Transformative use' under the 'Fair use' section.

This is, again, full of confidence-reducing words such as 'likely' but don't just read a few paragraphs on a website...look how the law has been and could be applied.

Please don't think you should restrict yourself from using texts to share, sold or otherwise, your expertise with other teachers who will already feel restricted.

How else can we do it? We have to look at texts from EVERY period and share our knowledge of those texts with others. If what we do isn't creative and critical works for the betterment of society then nothing is...

https://www.slideshare.net/reneehobbs/yes-you-can-use-copyrighted-materials

14. Rott Weiler

A very useful link ….. if the OP is in the USA. It's a presentation from Temple University Philadelphia about US copyright law.

15. wordsmithDFA

As I said in another thread earlier...they are very similar. ;)

16. wordsmithDFA

Unfortunately, I haven't seen an explanation as good but British Law also contains the amendment as we have had multiple cases that have been similarly effective.

17. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

18. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter