1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coordinates Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by xhelen1989x, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I'm teaching coordinates to Year 2 at the moment and gathering together resources. This may seem a silly question but do you teach them grids with just numbers (e.g. 6, 5) or with numbers and letters (e.g. 6, B). They seem to vary!

Many thanks,

Helen

2. Hi there,

I'm teaching coordinates to Year 2 at the moment and gathering together resources. This may seem a silly question but do you teach them grids with just numbers (e.g. 6, 5) or with numbers and letters (e.g. 6, B). They seem to vary!

Many thanks,

Helen

3. GrahamLawler

GrahamLawler New commenter

in mathematics it is just numbers and the numbers are on the lines of the grid, not in the spaces, enjoy it is fun. Try doing treasure island with the children. Make a large sheet and place the children on it and get them to move towards a hidden treasure point.
    enjoy
    bw
    Graham Lawler
    www.mr-educator.com

4. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Sorry, need to disagree, in maths numbers/letters should be in the spaces, not on the lines, especially for ks1. I did both numbers only and numbers and letters with my yr2 class

5. Thank you both for your replies! Is it generally just numbers for say KS2 upwards and numbers and letters for KS1? I have a Year 2 class but it is a selective independent school so they are generally quite a bit above average....So I'm not sure which to go for!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Noooooo not quite this simple.

Being able to use a square grid to locate items and move around is a level 2 maths skill. So just label the columns with letters (in spaces) and the rows with numbers (also in spaces). So a fairy might be found in square B4 and a castle in square C2.

However this is NOT co-ordinates. This is simply about learning how things can be arranged/located on a grid of squares.

Level 3 maths introduces co-ordinates and so then moves to having only the lines labelled and only with numbers. And so any 'treasure' must be located on the intersection of lines. The location is then given as (3.5) and is termed 'co-ordinates'.

My top ones in year 2 have begun to use co-ords, but have found the concept too hard really. All are dead good at the A3 B7 type square grid stuff though.