1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cooling curves

Discussion in 'Science' started by iron, Jun 23, 2011.

1. iron

iron New commenter

Looking at states of matter and we are including energy changes assoc. with changes of state. (scottish CfE)
    Any one still do them?
    Any good ideas?

Thoughts welcome

J

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Cooling curves can be great fun (I use chocolate).

3. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I love the idea of using chocolate! I struggle with stearic acid (I think) - we never quite get it quite hot enough that it doesn't start solidifying before they're ready to start taking readings.

Will definitely try chocolate next year

4. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

I use stearic acid at least a half boiling tube and in a big electric water bath, if the kids get it quickly it usuall works.

5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

We borrow the water bath from biology, but maybe bigger/fuller tubes would be better. And since once of my colleagues is allergic to chocolate and hates even the smell, it probably wouldn't be very comradely of me to try that one.

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

A Science teacher that is allergic to chocolate? They are an abomination and should be sent henceforth to suffer elsewhere...[​IMG]